DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 24 Oct 2020, 03:57

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2011, 16:18 

Hello,
I have a Leslie 125 that contains a 20W tube amp and a 12" full-range Jensen.

What I want to do is to add a horn to the cabinet in order to get more punch on the high end. I hope to do this without replacing the Jensen, but I will if I need to.

What I don't know how to do is to pick a speaker and crossover that will be correct for the 20W amp and the speaker I currently have.

Looking for advice in choosing parts to buy.
Cheers!

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2011, 13:32 
Project Author

Wouldn't it be enough to connect the tweeter (horn) via one capacitor in series and a resistor in parallel?
That makes a simple 6 db crossover to seperate the tweeter from the low frequencies.

Some of my projects: TDA2050 Chip Amp, the LM3886 Gainclone Thread and the Szekeres Headamp Thread.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2011, 18:16 

I have heard something along these lines, but wouldn't know what capacitor to use, or what tweeter...

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2011, 04:49 
Project Author

Hi duncan,

to find out which capacitor and resistor you'll have to install can be found on several web app based crossover calculators.
This is not a real problem so. You'll have to know the impedance and the SPL (sound pressure level / db) from the horn driver
you wish and also from the full range speaker. The level of the full range Jensen can be omitted as the resistor network can be
used to match the SPLs.

I would recommend to use a PA Horn driver. Piezo Horns often sound very harsh and they can scream like a pig..
Real horns do the trick. They are sometimes a bit pricey, but i'm sure there are also good valued horns on the market.

Here is an example for a driver which could be useful:
http://monacor.co.uk/products/speakerbuilding-padriver/vnr/105300/

one typical 90-60 Horn:
http://monacor.co.uk/products/speakerbuilding-padriver/vnr/110700/

This are only examples. I think you'll have to find some horns in your region.
I have only sources for suppliers in germany as i had to buy two horns for my Yamaha PAs last week. Sry!

Are you from UK? The Monacors are available at the maplin webshop (UK)...
I don't know about the quality now, but i remember that i used some Monacor tweeters 20 years ago for my
DIY teen party speakers. They worked OK but i don't remember how they really sounded.

For the Yamahas i've bought a pair of Celeston. Maybe that's also Monacor...

Have fun ;-).

Some of my projects: TDA2050 Chip Amp, the LM3886 Gainclone Thread and the Szekeres Headamp Thread.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2011, 13:58 
Project Author

PS:

I saw that the Celestions now are not easy to get here.
The Eminence or Selenium are also a good choice...

img Stageline were from Monacor. They are also OK and not very expensive.