DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 17 Feb 2020, 01:15

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TQWT Speaker Design
PostPosted: 08 Oct 2008, 01:02 

I want to try this design. I have bought SEAS drivers, 7" woofer and tweeter. I have stumbled across the basic calculation on how to work out the length and 'port' opening size. Just want to find out: What else should I consider when designing this on paper? How many times can one fold this 'pipe' to fit into an enclosure? Corner design when folding? Or maybe just a good link to this info will be nice.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: TQWT Speaker Design
PostPosted: 08 Oct 2008, 12:10 
Editor

Hi iondb, are you referring to a specific design or are you looking to do your own design?

The best place to start will be Martin's website: http://quarter-wave.com/

Here you will find all the theory you will need for Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design. In addition, Martin has worksheets available to do enclosure simulations.

What drivers did you get?

Cheers

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2008, 00:51 

I don't really know the different designs of this kind of enclosures. Just started playing around with the basic calculations. I bought the H1215 woofer and the H1189 tweeter with a wave guide made for me by the reseller. I looked into this kind of design, because the size of the enclosure will give me a floorstander size, where as a bass reflex will be a stand mount size.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2008, 17:03 
Editor

Can you post the design that you got from the reseller. I imagine it also has a crossover design.

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2008, 00:44 

There are no designs yet. We are just throwing around ideas at this stage. He mentioned TQWT and I wanted to start getting some background on it. Got the basic calculations and tried to apply them on a sketch and saw that it is not as easy to fold a 2 meter TL into an enclosure :D That is why I am now searching to see how the theory is applied physically as I am more of a picture person than numbers :P

If all else fails, I'll stick to BS design and get some stands for them, or make it higher and fill the bottom with sand.

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2008, 09:47 
Project Author

Give that website that Gio recommended a good read. Its pretty easy. I dont think you will really have any trouble. The hardest physical part will be cutting the hole for the speaker so pretty easy. The calculations might be a little tough but there is a spreadsheet on the site you can use to plug in infor about your speakers and you will get a box design out the other end of the calculation.
Ri

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2008, 12:11 
Editor

iondb wrote:
There are no designs yet. We are just throwing around ideas at this stage. He mentioned TQWT and I wanted to start getting some background on it. Got the basic calculations and tried to apply them on a sketch and saw that it is not as easy to fold a 2 meter TL into an enclosure :D That is why I am now searching to see how the theory is applied physically as I am more of a picture person than numbers :P

If all else fails, I'll stick to BS design and get some stands for them, or make it higher and fill the bottom with sand.

Hi iondb, what sort of height did you want to restrict the speaker to? In addition to the enclosure, you will need to come up with a crossover design. I just looked at the specifications (attached) and that driver should be suitable in a T-Line or Bass Reflex Enclosure.

When you say BS, do you mean Book Shelf?

Cheers,
Gio

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2008, 01:38 

Sorry for that one, BS : Bass Reflex. I wanted a enclosure about 1 meter in height, but I am leaning towards bass reflex. So I might just get/build a set of stands for them. I feel more comfortable with a bass reflex build at this stage.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2008, 03:00 

RiGuy: I can't seem to find the spreadsheets to use on that site? Only a couple of pdf files with loads of calculations.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2008, 19:40 
Editor

Hi iondb, if you are referring to the Quarter Wavelength site, they offer MathCAD worksheets for $25. If you are looking to try a bass reflex enclosure, something like WinISD which is free will do the trick.

Cheers