DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Bruce Heran outlines the details and construction of his simple DIY 6DJ8 (ECC88) Tube Hi-Fi Headphone Amplifier Project.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 17 Apr 2014, 07:31

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Planar Transducers
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2008, 22:39 
Project Author

Hi Out there, There may not be many viewers but on the odd chance someone is looking. Does anyone have thoughts on the NEO3 Planar Transducers now offered by PE. Part number 264-730. They look like they would just drop in my Altec 1010 systems. Opinions anyone?

Good listening

Post subject: Re: Planar Transducers
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2008, 11:10 
Project Author

Looks like they have a 45 day satisfaction guarantee but I think you will be charged 30% restocking fee which is not to bad to find out what Planar's are like. I listened to some Martin Logans and I think those are Planar Transducers. $4k.... right next to some $800/pr JBL. The JBL sounded better to me so that doesnt say much for the MLs, but then again thats not apples to apples and that tweeter has caught my eye in the Parts Express catalog to. I have thought that if the Audio Nirvana 12" sound like they need HF help when they are properly burnt in in the bass reflex enclosures I am building that I would use this very tweeter just to have a reason to see what they are like.
RiGuy

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2008, 23:21 

Oh well I never heard one of them , but I cant tell you they are damn expensive here!

Since I plan on building a speaker, that might be a great option...

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2008, 22:03 
Project Author

I have experience with Neo8, I was able to get them from a local manufacturer here in the Philippines who does assembly for B&G. It cost me around US$100 a pair.

It is quite nice, I have tried it on a two-way setup. The vocals are nice, the highs are not too tizzy, overall, quite neutral for high frequency duties.

I have been using full range right now, so the Neo8 is back on its packing box until I find time to try to use it again.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2008, 07:20 

Uhm, those Neo8 look awesome too.

But they are not really cheap....Do you think they are worth $60???

Unfortunately all my money now will all be sent to another project so I cant invest too much on speakers :).

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2008, 12:57 
Project Author

Thanks, everyone, It seems I'll have to get a pair and see. My Altecs sound fine, but being a long time audio guy, means there is no way I'll ever be satisfied.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2008, 14:36 
Project Author

Cant wait to hear what you think Bruce.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2008, 17:03 
Editor

gofar99 wrote:
My Altecs sound fine, but being a long time audio guy, means there is no way I'll ever be satisfied.

That sums up the problems with this hobby. Despite the fact you may have gear others drool over, we are never happy with it!

The price on the Parts Express Planar Transducers is low enough, it is worth trying. When you do take them apart, take some pictures. The crossover could likely use some upgrades! :)

Cheers

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2008, 15:59 
Project Author

Any news?

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2008, 16:11 
Project Author

Hi All, No news right now. I've been busy doing the KT88 project. It is in the tweaking stage. I have until the 31st to order the tweeters though. I hate to have to get 4 at $36 each (2 for each channel) to match up the sensitivity and impedance with the woofers. (I won't pad down the woofers to match - it is against my nature) That makes it a pricey thing. Being the audio guy that I am. I'll have to do it though.

Good listening
Bruce