DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 22 Aug 2019, 00:59

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2008, 09:23 
Project Author

From what I have heard its a bit tough to do crossovers for Full Rangers. Also, full rangers are a very well documented category of speaker in forums like DIYaudio dot com. Gio, from what I have see, is very good with this type of speaker so he can be of great help with cabinet suggestions. When you take a full range speaker and add another driver in the same cab you are off into mostly uncharted territory whereas if you use the Jordan by itself in a cabinet you will find many proven designs on the net. Then just make a sub and you will have a very nice system that achieves what you were trying to achieve with putting another speaker in the same cab as the full range speaker.
Just my opinion.
Ri

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2008, 09:38 
Editor

Yeah, if you want to take that approach, you will need to separate the cabinet. In that case, you could go with a tower, seal off the top with a Fostex FE127E (XO~100Hz) or FF85K (XO~200Hz) and have a bass driver in the bottom half.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2008, 10:05 

After leaving my last post, I discovered they were UK based. The main loudspeaker kit company here is a company called Wilmslow Audio. They're been hard to get hold of all day, so I've been having a good look at the Jordan speakers. I'm not sure if I'll be going for a bass reflex stand mounted design, or go for a transmission line design to hopefully help give me a little deeper bass response.

Has anyone here had any experience with transmission line? What are the thoughts of this design?

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2008, 10:20 
Project Author

TL are very good for full range. Many designs available. One of the premier DIYers for TL is Martin J King. http://www.quarter-wave.com/
Another good site is
http://www.t-linespeakers.org/
And finally you should definitely check out http://www.planet10-hifi.com/ . While he doesnt approach your driver in particular its still one of the best speaker building sites on the web.
Ri

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2008, 10:21 
Editor

Hi John, no first hand experience, but you can read about Francesco's DIY Jordan JX92S MLTL Speaker Project.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2008, 10:54 

The more things I look at, the more I get confused....I'm close to buckling and feel I might be more pushed to go for a 2 way design... :(

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2008, 11:08 
Project Author

Nah, its not that bad its just to much information. You just have a few things that constrain your choices and if you make a choice within those constraints it wont be a bad choice.
You have a wonderful choice in your driver. This is a very very good speaker. Its good at what its supposed to be good at and that is full range. This is how the great cabinet designers have treated this driver and if you follow their lead you wont go wrong. So, don't try to change it up big time by putting another speaker in the cab with it. Its already designed to work by itself.
You have started to consider one of the best cab designs for this speaker so you are down the right road. The TL is great for this speaker and MLKs designs are proven and in many cases are the reference to which other full range driver cabs are compared.
You are not heading down a road with this driver and cabinet that has not already been traveled and proven save by hundreds of people.
If you take that driver, plug its measurements into the MLK excel spreadsheet, and build a box (an easy build BTW) according to those measurements you get from the spreadsheet you will have an incredible speaker for a very good price.
I have seen a few people get bogged down in the myriad options. They do this because of inexperience and a desire to be inexperienced but still come out with the best sound for the price. Dont worry about that you can already do it if you stick with the parameters you may have already set for yourself of a Jordan in a TL. Its just about a guarantee that you are going to have a great speaker. Once you have that decision made the rest is nuance and not to be fussed over to much. If you do a regular TL then great it will sound good. Maybe you could go with the Metronome or Demitri designs on Planet10HiFi, but if I was in your shoes I would go with the MLK MLTQWT.
Dont forget that the cab is easy to build. The hardest part will be sawing an angle perfectly. Thats it. And you know if you dont like it a year from now you can buy some more plywood for $40-$80 and build a new box.
All I am saying is dont overthink it. Its going to sound good. Promise :)
Ri

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2008, 11:35 

As you say, perhaps I'm thinking too much. I very much favour the TL designs as I've had TDLs RTL speakers in the past. I like the ability to reach very low bass notes without being boomy. In fact, I would argue that my old RTL 3s would reach lower than quite a few subs. Albeit not as loud as a sub, but far more musial.

I'll keep looking into some speaker designs, I'm trying to find an old program I used to have for working out speaker enslosures. It was an old DOS program, can't remember what it's called though. I don't know why I'm so worried, I designed a speaker system as a project in College, only thing is, I haven't got a clue where it is. I'd have a pop at building it. It's a shame it was only theoretical at the time.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2008, 11:46 
Project Author

If you are getting a bit skittish about it you might want to try reading this article
http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/cs-amps-speakers.pdf
Maybe not the whole thing :) Just skip down to where he compares all the speakers. This guy (Nelson Pass) is king in Class A design and so he certainly cares about speaker quality/build/sound. He does specify his favorite speakers and if you go with one of the top two (which can be very inexpensive) you will do well. (Well, top two that are not Lowther :) Thats costly stuff)

The Fostex FE166e in Abbys is recommended by Nelson. It sells for $63 at Madisound. You could import that for not to much and maybe still not find a better driver for the price.
He mentions some other nice Fostex and also your Jordan. He likes the Jordan quite a bit. Maybe reading this will give you some food for thought.
Ri

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2008, 12:04 

I'm contemplating building Nelson Pass's F5 amplifier one day, thank you for the link. I'll have a good read, and probably an envious dribble. I always do when I look at his work. :)