DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 24 Aug 2019, 18:24

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2008, 06:35 

As some of you know, I've not long completed a build of a Class A Solid state JLH smplifier. Next thing will be a valve buffer stage. After that (I'm planning to stay busy) I'd like to build a pair of speakers. I've never used full range speakers before, I've heard some (couldn't tell you what they were) but they do seem to be very shouty. I'm used to the sound of RTL speakers, but with space being tight, these are completely ruled out. So I'm thinking of a full range speaker, relatively small footprint if a floor standing design, or a small stand mounted design. Any suggestions?

A lot of builders here seem to love full range speakers, I'd love to see what the attraction is...so where's the best place to start?

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2008, 07:15 
Editor

Hi John, how much were you looking to spend, what are your musical preference and how big is the space where they will be used ?

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2008, 07:59 

I'm looking to spend up to approx £200. The room they'll be used in is approx 10" x 12". I listen to literally everything. My most common CDs to listen to are Michael Jackson, Angie Stone the Beatles along with some dance from time to time.

Regards, John.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2008, 10:05 
Project Author

I have limited experience. Built 2 DIY speaker sets. One with Fostex FE127E and one set with Audio Nirvana Super 12 drivers. I much prefer my ANs and the build was REALLY easy as the recommended enclosure is a Bass Reflex cabinet. Check out the drivers at http://www.commonsenseaudio.com
I felt the Fostex were shouty as well. That can be fixed though if you can tame down the frequencies that sound shouty.
I have loved the ANs since I got them and have not had problems with shouting.
If you want smaller speakers you will need a subwoofer. The AN 12s dont need a sub obviously. Even the FE127E Floorstanding Fonkens I built hit super low frequencies but with absolutely no authority. Most DIYers that build full range speakers feel that a sub is a necessity.
Fostex is about the most popular driver, but you will find my opinions very biased toward the ANs.
Figured I would throw in another link. here are my AN12s
http://picasaweb.google.com/udailey/Aud ... er12Build#
They probably cost about $300. Paid $178 plus $25 shipping. Then 80 for wood. 5 for stuffing. Maybe 10 for binding posts. 5 for screws.
Yep, thats about it. Plus about 1300 for shop tools :)
Ri

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2008, 12:20 
Editor

That is a healthy budget. For fullrange, you can think Fostex or even Jordan JX92S drivers. Take a look at what Gary did with his Jordan JX92S Bass Reflex Build. Take a look at some of the projects in my signature for more ideas.

I like the FE127E (bargain driver), also the Fostex FX120. One word of caution (and as noted by Ri) the Fostex drivers generally don't do complicated and loud. My preferance is to use the smaller Fostex drivers, but have a sub do the bass. The Fostex drivers would be a good match with you Class A amplifier.

I don't have any experience with the AN, but you will spend a good chunk on shipping getting them to the UK.

Would you consider trying a two way project?

Cheers

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2008, 12:45 
Project Author

Well, I didnt know we were into Jordan price range there. From what I hear they are excellent.
Ri

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2008, 12:56 
Editor

I'm not sure of the exact price in the UK, but a pair should be pretty close to 200GBP (~$350USD).

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2008, 15:39 

I have a pair that I got in a group buy for $280. I am willing to sell, no clue what shipping would be though :confused:

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2008, 05:47 

I've been looking into finding a price for these Jordan drivers, it seems to me that I'll have to buy them from a supplier over there and get them shipped over. It's not looking like it will be a problem. The head office for the company I work for is in Quebec, so I can have them delivered to Quebec and then have them forwarded over with routine shipments to keep the cost down a bit. Will probably be quicker too as my company favours FedEx.

I've been looking at this thread: Jordan JX92S Bass Reflex Build

Having read Gary's thoughts on these drivers, I'm partly tempted to use the jordans as mid/top and have something else in the cabinet too to help with the bottom end. This is kind of ruling out using a single driver, but if the sound benefits as a result, then I'm not going to complain. Any thoughts on this approach? I really don't want to build a subwoofer, I quite simply don't have the room.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2008, 08:58 
Editor

Hi John, the JX92S is a very nice driver and has a much better low end extension compared to similar sized Fostex drivers.

Since you are in the UK, you should be able to buy these directly from EJ Jordan. Send them an email. Their website says they only sell drivers in the UK.