DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 05 Apr 2020, 18:58

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2009, 10:13 

Hello there.

This is my first post in DIY Audio Projects... Hello to all.

I have some B&W speakers and I was wondering how I can, or if there is a way to upgrade/mod and improve the sound of the speakers. I do like to tinker and tweak with things so after looking at some other DIY projects I was wondering if and what I can do from wadding to re-wireing etc.

The speakers are floorstanders, they are ported of of the rear bottom.

Many thanks!

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2009, 15:51 

Welcome to the forum!

Upgrading speakers in the class of B&Ws would have to be a well thought out task, I would say. If they are simply old and in need of repair, that's one thing, but if they have no issues with damage or deterioration, and are fully functional, then "upgrading" something as well engineered as those may turn into a fiasco. That being if the proper drivers/components aren't used. Maybe using the enclosures with a completely different, but properly matched set of drivers and crossovers would be reasonably easy to do.

Cheers, Greg

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2009, 17:24 

Hello Greg.

many thanks for the welcome.

I was looking at Russ Andrews and the Acousti Wool they sell. I was wondering if by replacing the existing polyfill with this stuff would give the speaker a little more 'less boxy' sound, and a little more direct sounding and maybe a little less coloured.

Cheers
Joe

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2009, 21:09 

That very well could be an improvement. And more than likely easy to do.

That's one of those things that if you ask 10 people about it, you'll probably get 10 different opinions.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2009, 16:07 

lol.. I can imagine that to be the case.

It's an easy job I guess, I may look in to it further. Would you know if different densities behind the mid/horn and the bass drivers is something to experiment with?

Cheers
Joe

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 20:23 
Editor

Hi Joe, welcome to the forum. I agree with Bluesman, upgrades to that speaker would have to be well thought through. Adjusting the damping to your tastes and room may help. Once inside you can take a look at the crossover, but I imagine they use pretty reasonable parts. If you have a favorite brand of capacitors, you could substitute in your preferred capacitors.

Let us know how you make out.

Cheers, Gio

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2009, 05:38 

Walrus_Gumboot wrote:
lol.. I can imagine that to be the case.

It's an easy job I guess, I may look in to it further. Would you know if different densities behind the mid/horn and the bass drivers is something to experiment with?

Joe, I'm thinking hard core "audiophiles" would say that anything changed in the enclosure will affect sound and performance. Even if some changes are measurable, to my way of thinking, whether they're audible and/or beneficial would require unbiased A/B listening.

Having said that, experimentation is at the heart of DIY audio, so I say, go for it! Then you can be the judge and report your findings here. And this sounds like a tweak that can be reversed if it doesn't work out so well.

Cheers, Greg