DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 25 May 2020, 01:21

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2009, 12:58 
Project Author

Bruce Heran has a kit, a really cool looking kit, available. This is what I heard with KT77s that I thought was amazing. The source was vinyl, then a tubed RIAA preamp followed by a Lightspeed attenuator, then this amp of Bruce', then the ANs.
Here is the link to the project.
Here is the link to Bruce' website and you can find the kit there. With these speakers the KT77s sound best.
You will need two of those kits as they are monoblocks. They are not super difficult to build and once you get it built there is almost zero adjustment you need to make to get it biased perfectly.
I wish I could afford a pair. They really are incredible. I dont know if they need the RIAA tube pre or the Lightspeed to sound as perfect as they did, but thats the system I heard them in.
Uriah

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2009, 22:36 
Editor

Hajj wrote:
One problem i can foresee is that both ribbons and the FR drivers are very directional.

Hi Nick. Ribbons have a very wide horizontal dispersion and a very tight vertical dispersion. I personally like them better with a high XO, but I would encourage you to experiment from about 5k and up to see what you prefer. You could also consider a "super tweeter" of which Fostex has a few. Take a look at those. If you get an external type you have the flexibility to move it around to adjust the sound. An LPad comes in handy with them too. How much were you looking to spend on tweeter?

Oh I bet 300B would be nice. Never had the pleasure of hearing one though. I have a pair of the KT88 oddwatt tube amp kits and they are great with my FE206E in a back horn.

Cheers, Gio

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2009, 03:57 

Uriah, i sent Bruce an email inquiring about the details. waiting for his reply.
I am guessing the best option for the budget are the Oddwatt KT77 monoblocs, unless i can find a decent 300B SET for the same budget...

Gio, i was thinking of spending on the tweeters less than what i spend on the FR drivers, but only in the case of ribbons. For dome tweeters, i'm guessing much less. but i think i'll postpone that a bit, see how the Super 12s sound on their own first.
Concerning the "super tweeters", what is the typical frequency response on those?
And from your your experience, what would be the best x-o topology?

I am also contemplating the possibility of a preamp kit too for a 2-300$ budget... any input on that?

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2009, 09:33 
Project Author

With that particular amp, Bruce's, I thought the best sounding preamp with it was the Lightspeed. Its cheap to build, easy to build, and the sonics are incredible.
If you build this system you will have VERY high end sound for a very small price, comparably. And when people go nuts for your system you will have built all of it :) I am jealous right now :) I would love to have those KT77 amps.
I listened to several preamps the day that I heard this incredible setup. There was one that was almost as good in this setup as the Lightspeed and if I had never heard the Lightspeed I would be telling you to get this other pre. But it was a DIY pre and the guy was not sharing the schematic so... its gone. It was a TVC which has been said to be one of the best passive pre styles that you could use. The Lightspeed eats TVCs for breakfast, but the TVC still sounds wonderful. The Lightspeed just beats it over and over as well as any other passive pre I have heard.
Uriah

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2009, 13:49 

This thread went far beyond its original title,
Goes to show how indecisive i was (much less so right now), and how much a noob needs to learn before making any decision that's close to being right.
I still have not received any reply from Bruce concerning the setup, so i still don't know if those amps need a preamp, But my "educated" guess says that as long as there is no need for a phono stage, and input is limited to line stage, the lightspeed (any idea how much a built unit costs?) mentioned by Uriah should do the job (please do not hesitate to correct that latter statement), anyway, if a preamp is needed, and from i gathered, a 10db gain should be more than enough...
So i went and did some research, as always, and are soem of the interesting things i could find Zen premap kit and CGV-PRE1, any input on those?

And like any respectable DIYer worthy of that name, i'm on the usual trend of gathering projects, and am now on the hunt for a DIY DAC... and THE question, should i go for a tube DAC, or would a SS DAC be enough? i'm starting to fear too mellow of a sound with an all-tube setup....
The list never ends, and it's bound to get bigger by the week... (cables, interconnects, power cables, and ultimately tube swaps...)
Placed the order on the Super 12's, done deal.
Next will be the attenuator and the power amp (if the pre amp is an absolute necessity)

P.S: Uriah, should i get the KT77s, know that you'll be more than welcome to borrow them anytime you like ;)

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2009, 19:34 
Project Author

Thanks!
Forget the pre for now. You will need to get to know your system a little. If you get to many projects you wont build them all and it will end in dissappoitment. I guess that if you work hard yoj will finish amp, Lightspeed and speakers this summer.... :)
Maybe you will forget all else and get them done faster, but still minimum 3 months.
You dont need pre or DAC and those will only become personal preference and right now you dont know how this sounds. Hint... Its not tubey. Its brilliant and clear. You will want to spend some time with this system before changing it more and in building you may begin to learn a bit of whats going on and what might be your next step.
Uriah

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2009, 22:28 
Editor

Hajj wrote:
Concerning the "super tweeters", what is the typical frequency response on those?
And from your your experience, what would be the best x-o topology?

Typically they are for about 5k and up, but I tend to use them more for 10k+ with just a first order XO (a cap) and let the FR run open unless it is harsh on top.

Feel free to ask about tube kits in the tube section as you get more varied responses. I had not seen those gabevee kits before.
Cheers, Gio