DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 15 Nov 2019, 21:41

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2009, 05:05 
Project Author

About to to assemble the back loaded horn for the Fostex FE206En driver. The boxes cost me $AU800 and drivers $AU360 so not a cheap speaker.

Anyone else done it?

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2009, 13:29 
Editor

Mark, I think you are really going to like the FE206En in a horn. Here are my Dallas Back (Rear) Loaded Horn Speakers with Fostex FE206E. I sent you photos of the few mods I have tried with the driver thus far. I want to try a few more.

Be patient with them. You will need to adjust damping in the compression chamber and at the mouth of the horn. The Fostex FE206E Recommended Speaker Enclosure Plans suggests "sands" (sand bags I assume), but I used styrofoam cut to size to adjust the chamber.

Also, take a look at this page for more ideas about damping in the compression chamber.
http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Solo206.html

Keep us posted! :headphones:

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2009, 22:05 
Project Author

I have built and listened to the double bass chamber and now the back loaded horns. Though far more complex, costly and heavy the back loaded horns are much better. But I could easily live with either. My all up cost for the back loaded ones is about $AU1200. I had the boxes made by a friend.

Please yourself with the BSC but (as Gio pointed out) a Zobel of 4.7uf and 8.2ohms is a must. It just takes some of the midrange grain out. Also in my large and slightly lively listening room there initially was an excess of upper bass with no lower bass. A roll of Dacron rolled and stuffed into the bottom back open chamber fix this problem in one go, The upper bass was converted to lower bass at about twice the volume. I think there may have been some reflection and doubling happening back there. You cannot see the roll it tucks right down. Sound stage is stunning and stereo image good on tracks that have it.

From my 6W RMS pp SE UL JJ KT88 Blue Glass amp I can make my ears hurt with no compression or clipping. Very, very loud if you want it. Be warned these are very efficient speakers.

Attachment:
BackLoadedS.jpg
Attachment:
FostexBackloadS.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2009, 23:01 
Editor

Fantastic Mark. They really look great! I would not spend too much time tweaking them until the driver is well broken in as they will change some. Feeding them 50Hz while you are at work will speed this up, but watch the level. I think you will find that a zobel will not be necessary with all amps.

How do you plan to finish them?
Cheers

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2009, 23:02 
Project Author

Gio wrote:
How do you plan to finish them?

Maybe just a clear or honey or walnut coloured lacquer? No sure yet.

Something I didn't mention is these boxes are held together with stainless steel screws and dowels and glue and up to 8 massive braces were used on them at one time. They are extremely well made. Probably more solid than normal.