DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 14 Dec 2019, 14:38

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: speaker advice
PostPosted: 25 Aug 2008, 11:28 

I am thinking of building a 5.1 surround sound speaker system, this would be my first first speaker project and I would be gratefull for any advice on speaker selection for a room 4.5m by 5.0m, I was thinking of spending upto $900.

Post subject: Re: speaker advice
PostPosted: 25 Aug 2008, 11:33 
Project Author

I really dont know where to start. Can you give us some more information? Maybe tell us about your amplifier and if you will be using this primarily for Home Theater or Music... if volume and punch is more important than precision and clarity. Not that these are the end all be all or anything, but you havent given us much to start with to help you out. The price is helpful though thanks for that
Ri

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2008, 13:57 
Editor

Hi bristolspark,

Welcome to the forum.

Yeah, lets us know what amp you will be using. If the home theater amp has a built in active XO you can use fullrange drivers with subs.

For interest sake, here are Adam's HT speaker projects which are outside of your budget.

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Speakers/Hi ... Subwoofer/
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Speakers/Hi ... r-Channel/
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Speakers/Hi-Vi-3-Way-Tower/

Cheers

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2008, 14:11 

I was thinking of hooking up speakers to something like a Denon AVR-1909 av receiver.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2008, 15:06 
Editor

The Dennon you mentioned has a built-in active XO.
Variable High/Low Pass Crossover Points (12/24dB) 40/60/80/100/120/150/200/250

That gives you a number of options. If you want to keep costs down, you could go with Fullrange speaker drivers like the Fostex FE127E You could put them in a sealed or ported enclosure and cross them over to a subwoofer. You can easily do that within you budget. I do that for my setup, DIY Fostex FE127E Sealed Bipole Speakers and a DIY 10" Ported Subwoofer. The enclosure volume for sealed systems is not critical. Of course you can use a number of other fullrange drivers.

Here is another single driver option
http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker18.html

There are a number of mutli-driver projects as well, here is an inexpensive two way option
http://www.zaphaudio.com/ZBM4.html

Will you be doing your own woodworking?

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2008, 16:36 

I quite like the oak trimmed finish on the 1.618 - 3-Way Hi-Vi Tower Speaker Project. I a keen diyer and would like to build my own cabinets, In the past I studied an electronics course at college,looking at some of the diagrams on the forum makes me realise how much you forget if your not using it.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2008, 18:43 
Project Author

If you have any background in electronics you might consider building your own amps. Build 5 of them and add a surround processor. You may come out on the cheap side of the bargain and you will certainly come out on top of the quality and bragging rights sides. We have been looking at the LM3886 several times here and you can find it in the DIY Audio Projects as well. Both under Chip Amps. The sound is great. I have a Harmon Kardon AVR135 and it is buried by the easy to build LM3886. We will help you through it if you like. You can find NAD surround processors on Ebay for as little as $50 and this happens a few times a week it seems. You would need one or two.... probably two power supplies. I am betting total cost of an INCREDIBLE system of amps would run you approx $400 to $500 and not over $500. Really, it will sound better than the Dennon.
Ri

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2008, 16:14 

Cant always get US speakers in the UK, would value any opinions on speaker for sell in one of our electronic component shops http://www.maplin.co.uk/Family.aspx?Men ... worldid=-5

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2008, 21:15 
Project Author

I think I would try to find a Fostex dealer in the UK. I think the speakers I saw on Maplin would be a crap shoot/gamble.
Ri

https://secure.wilmslow-audio.co.uk/catalog/

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2008, 21:50 
Editor

I agree with Ri. Go with a brand name driver like Fostex and use an enclosure others have already had success with.