DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 25 May 2020, 01:19

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2009, 13:26 

I am looking for some guidance for a first time builder. I have downloaded a plan for the Zigmahornets using the Fostex FE103E but I will be using the Tang Band W4-1337 SD and changing to 3/4" plywood.
Question: Can I keep the interior dimensions or are there some suggestions that would be better for the W4's

Thanks in advance for your help!

Darryl

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2009, 12:43 
Editor

Hi Darryl, welcome to the forum.
Between the Tang Band W4-1337SD and Fostex FE103E. Qts is almost the same. Fs is about 10Hz lower than the FE103E and Vas is not too far off between the two. So it may work well.
Cheers

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2009, 12:54 

Gio

Thanks for the reply and insight. My first adventure was with a Seas Cygnet Mk II kit from madisound with boxes from parts express. They came out very well I was pleased with the sound. This will be my fist attempt at a full range and hopefully I can upload pics when done.
Darryl

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2009, 20:33 
Editor

Let us know how you make out. I'm sure others will also be interested on how well this driver works in the enclosure.
Cheers

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2009, 21:22 

Yes please keeps us posted I am still on the fence on my next set of speakers.

Thanks

Alan

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2009, 01:25 

I've been partial to trying the "Tang Band W4-1320SJ 4" Bamboo Cone Driver" or the Pioneer A11EC80-02F.
I have built two pairs of Zigmahornets, one with one driver and one set with two drivers using Merrill DCA 4's

Listening to the 'dualies' right now and I love the extra omf the pair gives in the lower range.

Best of luck on your build!! I love mine

-Tevis

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2009, 13:06 
Editor

Be sure to post some photos. We would love to see them.

Cheers

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2009, 09:03 

Hi All!

Just wanted to post this update from my original question. I have changed direction on the enclosures. I will be using 3" dia sch 40 PVC pipe with double foam core for the main section and a 4" tee section for the driver mounting. I am attempting to simulate the dimensions of the sigmahornet and have calculated the internal volume at .25cuft. Attached is a rough sketch if what I am trying to build and II would appreciate comments on dimensions and any damping.

Cheers

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2009, 13:24 
Editor

Oh I love the idea! What are you using for the simulations?

If you haven't already seen these, take a look as there is some good info.
http://www.t-linespeakers.org/projects/ ... index.html
http://www.t-linespeakers.org/projects/ ... index.html

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2009, 18:07 

Reply to Rob

Fantastic ABS pipes! I do have some questions that you may be able to help me with.
For simulation, I only patterned the dimensions and internal volume from the zigmahornet with the Fostex FE103. I have not done nor am I capable of doing any simulations. If someone can help based on my dimensions, I would appreciate all feedback.
For your pipes, how did you address the intersections of the 4" tee ? I plan on reducing the body of the pipe to 3" dia as shown but the inside has many irregular surfaces. Should I add some damping material inside the tee section behind the driver? I have some 1/2 " acoustical foam damping that was going to be put in directly behind the driver for about 7" of vertical length and start with the upper 1/3 filled with light stuffing.
Any comments on the vent dia and length?

Thanks