DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Bruce Heran outlines the details and construction of his simple DIY 6DJ8 (ECC88) Tube Hi-Fi Headphone Amplifier Project.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 10:39

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2009, 11:33 

They are up and playing for the first time. My first impression is they sound unlike most single driver speakers I've heard - no shout, no tizzy presence, and most importantly, full rich deep bass at any sane volume level. Female vocals seem to have just a bit of a "cupped hands" sound, but otherwise there are no sonic hints they're full range driver speakers. Very easy to listen to.

If anybody in the Houston area would like to hear them, I'm hosting the Houston Audio Society meeting at my house next Saturday, and the meeting topic is a comparison of the sonic characteristics of five very different speaker designs - a pair of Magnepans, a MLTL full range bipole design, the Brines Acoustics TT-2000's, a pair of inexpensive diy line arrays (the Art Arrays), and a more typical "high end" design, the Selah Audio 2.5-way Texas Revelator Towers using Scan Speak Revelator drivers. Pm me for directions.
http://fredt300b.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Sp ... 4896_T4Duo

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2009, 16:25 
Editor

:up: Are the FE207E better with the female vocals?

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2009, 17:10 

Gio wrote:
:up: Are the FE207E better with the female vocals?

I haven't heard the 207 in some time so I can't comment, but Bob Brines has compared the 207 and the 1772 in the same enclosure, and he commented that the 1772 doesn't have the 207's 3khz peak that adds an artificial presence to some voices. So I suspect the 1772 is more accurate with female voices.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2009, 00:03 
Editor

Sounds like another driver to add to my want list.

Cheers

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2009, 10:31 
Project Author

I was at Fred's house a few days ago. I listened to these on his Krell and a 2A3 SET 3W tube amp. I like them a lot. They certainly are work experimentation and they dont shout like the Fostex. Definitely more relaxed. You should have heard his dipole CSS 3.5" set up. Incredible bass from tiny speakers. They dont get very loud but they are really nice speakers and I would have them in the bedroom or other quiet listening room.
Gio, you will be pleased to know Fred has convinced me to mess with BSC and I am having fun doing so. Bass in the chest from my ANs? Wow.
Ri

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2009, 13:23 
Editor

Good stuff Uriah, i think you will like them a lot better with a BSC. Considering that you are not using flea power amplification you won't miss the few dB. ;)

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009, 15:45 

RiGuy wrote:
Gio, you will be pleased to know Fred has convinced me to mess with BSC and I am having fun doing so. Bass in the chest from my ANs? Wow.

I felt like a drug dealer as I placed a heap of inductors in young Uriah's cupped hands and said "Take these home with you and try them out. You'll like them". I knew he would be hooked. :twisted:

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009, 20:26 

AudioFred wrote:
I felt like a drug dealer as I placed a heap of inductors in young Uriah's cupped hands and said "Take these home with you and try them out. You'll like them". I knew he would be hooked. :twisted:
Fred, this is a family friendly site, what are you thinking?...

Of course I was laughing out loud as I read the post. :thumbsup: Can not wait to hear Uriah's report.

Alan

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2009, 21:03 
Editor

AudioFred wrote:

LOL

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2009, 08:41 

Another step in the evolution of my 1772 single drivers. Santa brought me a dbx DriveRack PA+ for Christmas, and I'm using the equalizer function instead of the passive LR filter. This effectively increases the sensitivity of the speakers to the point where I can drive them to very satisfying room filling levels with the 2A3 amps, and I've also found they sound better with a slight attenuation of the upper midrange. http://fredt300b.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Sp ... 2403_BdpKM