DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 03 Apr 2020, 20:30

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2009, 07:17 

Geek wrote:
We heard and reviewed the Alpair-10 at the last diyAudio festival a few weeks back and there's far better, far cheaper drivers, IMO.

Gregg: Can you point me to this review or discussion? I got a pair of Alpair 10 recently and have yet to be impressed.

Thanks
Dave

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2009, 15:06 

Hi,

They're spread around the "Full Range" forum and Victoria Audiofest threads at www.diyaudio.com

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2009, 23:11 
Project Author

I have to agree with everything AudioBrigade said about full range drivers and add that I still love them more than multi driver speakers.
I built the previously mentioned Fonkens and I like them for all the reasons that AudioBrigade said you would love FR speakers. Truly beautiful presentation of voice and strings and jazz. Complicated stuff gets bad fast. No decent bass response, of course.
I still love my Full Range Audio Nirvana Bass Reflex build. Its a 12" FR driver and please everyone before you attack me with the 12" cant do FR argument go and listen. They can. They are beautiful sounding speakers and they still need a little bass, but with the right amp the bass is great. The right amp in this case is a Class A tube amp. PP or SE both do well. I use these speakers with a chip amp and love it. They rock, they image, they soundstage, the do backflips. They make me proud and when I listen to speakers down on Westheimer at Modia I come home and feel good about my own.
They cost 228USD for a pair and they truly are worth it. Good with SS, best with Tubes. I could brag louder but you wouldnt belive me :) Believe me on this, they are worth far more than the asking price.
Uriah

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2009, 02:07 

Its not lookin' good for my favourite music - Spyro Gyra - can be complicated and with plenty of bass. Any of you guys listen to Spyro on your fullrange driver setups?

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2009, 07:08 
Project Author

Sorry, I dont. I remember liking them when I used to hear them on National Public Radio back in the mid 80's, but dont think I have heard them since.
Ri

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2009, 16:21 

Spyro is a very prolific group with a variety of styles.

I remember sampling some of their works on Usenet and it was like different bands!

They're worth a listen... they'll have an album for most everyone's tastes :D

BTW - NPR rocks! :up:

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design