DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 25 May 2020, 01:13

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2009, 04:35 

I am interested in building a set of full range single driver speakers but not having heard any. I am wondering how good they can be.
Is it possible for instance, to end up with the possibility of better sound than my old kef concertos, given there is so many other variables involved in any
attempt to come up with a better sound quality.
Or is there just not the possibility at all that I could not build a better sounding single driver speaker.
Has anyone been down this road, I have heard so many good things about the drivers available now and the idea of no crossover etc sounds very interesting.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2009, 12:11 
Editor

hi Wayne, welcome to the forum.

Can you give some more background info like - size of your room, amplification, how loud you like to listen, genre of music you listen to ...

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 02:23 

Hi Gio,
Good to be a part of an interesting forum. My room is 6 x 8 meters, most music starts with an imac with a DAC plugged into it, but I also have a
Connoisseur BD-1 turntable, Grace arm, Micro cartridge. From there we go to a Steinmann Audio valve amp of about 30 watts, to the Concertos.
We listen to a broad range of music - jazz, rock, alternative, instrumental with a little classical. Occasionally we would play it LOUD but most is probably medium listening levels. I was also thinking of replacing some components of the crossovers - they are pretty old and this is supposed to make a big difference
to the sound. Also popping the units into a transmission line box is another idea, similar to the Rogers Pro9TL which I built many moons ago.
But the single driver idea has me intrigued , I was looking at the Markaudio units .

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 04:10 

Hi,
WayneG wrote:
...I was looking at the Markaudio units .

The CHR-70 are real good bang for the buck.

http://www.markaudio.com/chr70

They make nice bookshelf size speakers and sound great.

But IMO, your room size and varied tastes may indicate a 2-way as optimum.

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 04:44 

Geek , why is that - to get descent sound levels ie bass. How about their Alpair 10 full range driver?

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 13:15 

WayneG wrote:
Geek , why is that - to get descent sound levels ie bass. How about their Alpair 10 full range driver?

Yes.

We heard and reviewed the Alpair-10 at the last diyAudio festival a few weeks back and there's far better, far cheaper drivers, IMO.

Another decent FR with reasonable bass is the EL-70:
http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=EL70

He has US distribution, so no border hassles.

Cheers!

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 18:55 
Editor

For the size of room and since you have tube amplification, you could also consider the 8" Fostex drivers - the FE206E in a horn or the FE207E in a TLine. They do mate up well with tube amps but they will not deliver huge bass and can sound a little congested with complicated music. However, they can sound great with vocal, jazz and some classical. There are plenty of enclosure ideas we can suggest for the fostex drivers.
Cheers

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 20:59 

Oh well, if we're gonna talk Fostex...
http://www.planet10-hifi.com/boxes-fostex.html

The Fonkens are insanely good.

Then there is:
http://www.frugal-horn.com/

Cheers!

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2009, 05:13 

Thanks heaps guys there is a lot to get out of those websites and I will continue to research a little and maybe have a go at a pair using a set of the cheaper [ but not nasty ] drivers and see what I can come up with.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2009, 06:16 

Quote:
will not deliver huge bass and can sound a little congested with complicated music
Guess that goes with most fullrange speakers. Mine (se below) are like that too. However on the bright side you'll find the speakers perfect dealing with acoustic music like jazz, blues, folk and even slightly non-complicated rock.
I think you gain and loose as much with any kinds of speakers. In a 2- or 3-way speakers you must deal with filters and various SPLs, whereas a fullrange speakers have problems with cone breakup and other problems. It's a choice between "plague or cholera".

I have btw a pair of Fostex FE207E, that has become obsolete. Swapped for a pair of 3-way speakers and haven't come with an idea what to do with them.

I build myself a pair of horns based on Hungarian 5" fullrangers from Sonido. They are rather small, but during a DIY summit in Gothenburg this year I did manage to fill a classroom with sweet music. My friends had built a horn with the bigger (6 1/2") fullranger from the same producer and they did deliver a deeper bass. My ultimate dream is the BIG Aion horn, 2 meters in height with an 8" driver.

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll