DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 05 Apr 2020, 19:13

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2009, 20:52 
Project Author

I have been thinking about a speaker project for a while now, mainly ones that could be used on my 25EH5 amplifier or any other small tube amplifier Like my long deceast Harman Kardans that will be reincarnated sooner or later.

So, I have an old table of covered with speakers and a drawr full of speakers that I have collected over the years, many junky ones but I found a bunch that look to be good quality and I feel they are efficient enough to work well with any tube amp.

What I have are:
2x (Unknown brand) 6" 8 ohm 15 watt LOW freq
2x (Koss) 4" 8 Ohm 10 watt MID/LOW freq
2x (Koss) Fabric cone? 1" 5 ohm 10 watt HIGH freq

And that is what I have but you can't really tell just by specs so I will post some pics later when I feel a bit better from this darn bug.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2009, 12:25 
Editor

Alan, best place to start is by listening to them on an open baffle to hear what you have. If they are from cars, they will likely be best suited to open baffle duty.

Here is an approach you can try: http://www.t-linespeakers.org/FALL/2buck.html
Cheers

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2009, 18:41 
Project Author

Well here is what they look like.....

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2009, 12:05 
Editor

Guessing, I would say the larger drivers may be best suited to an OB (smallish magnet higher Qts). The smaller drivers are shielded - sealed or small bass reflex enclosure would be a guess. Do you know the source of the drivers? That may give you some enclosure hints.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 15:53 
Project Author

The bigger speakers were in desk hight boxes and the Koss ones where in small bookshelf speaker boxes.

Just in case I am informing you that I will be upgrading my computer to newer parts and It needs some system reorganization, so emails my not be received for a week or so.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2009, 18:48 
Project Author

It looks like I am going to have to upgrade my JBL speakers soon, as I was listening to my main system one day when I noticed a small crack on the foam around the low freq. speaker frame. I felt around the edge of the foam and realized that was split half way around the speaker! :o

So now the question is what do I do? can it be fixed using some rubbery glue or epoxy, or is it just time to dish some money out on a decent speaker project?

There are some really nice projects on the site but for me the costs where too much to actually make any of the projects but if I may beable to just salvage the tweeter and mid range from the JBL's and then I just need to get a decent low freq. speaker and remake the box for best response.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 15:41 
Editor

You can by a surround kit to replace them. I've never done it myself.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 16:41 
Project Author

A surround kit? to replace the foam? that sounds a bit trickier than trying the glue it solution.

I was thinking of something a bit more official, like this: http://diyaudioprojects.com/Speakers/Hi-Vi-3-Way-Tower/

Since then I can make something likely to be better, It is the costly solution but then I can use the JBL's on my parent's home theater system that only uses wimpy little box speakers. I have had these speakers for a good four years and I only spent 20 bucks on them at a yard sale.

But I think starting off with a cheaper smaller speaker project would be a better idea, like using the ones I showed above. I will need some guide lines as to how to get values for the crossovers.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 09:40 
Editor

It doesn't *look* all that hard.

A simple repair can also work, but you many prefer to do the repairs in "stereo".

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 14:37 
Project Author

That is pretty easy, can I get replacement foam from any audio store?