DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 03:57

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Proposed New Amp !
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2008, 12:26 

Hi,

Hey Guys this is my new proposed Amps design !! Just thought to share it with you guys and ask for some feedback's !!

The pics are self explanatory so checkout !! if you have any doubt or question please ask !!

Also most importantly please do give some feedback !!

The Amp circuit that I plan to put inside this is the Famous Nmos 350 from Quasi ( diyaudio.com guys will know better) ! I have chosen to go the Bipolor way then the original Mos version !!

Regards.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2008, 13:54 
Editor

I like the enclosure design. Is that something you will be building yourself? What software did you use for the renders?

How about putting the AC in the middle so as to keep it as far away for the amp. As I see it, one side will be pretty close the AC.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2008, 03:00 

Hi,

Thanks for liking the design ! I use the Google sketch ! fairly simple and best of all free !! But offcourse I've enhanced it with Photoshop for better looking pics !!

As with Building the cabinet myself ( I think thats what you meant), No Am not ! I cannot also as the necessary infrastructure is not available ! forget that even the entire city where I live ( The IT capital of India Bangalore) there aren't many professional people who can achieve this !! so I with great difficulty managed to find a right place for this !! However I will personally stand and get this done in front of me !!

I know the concerns ! The reason I've put the AC socket at the right hand corner is,The amp board measures just 8" and the total cabinet depth is around 18" (heatsink itself is 16 + ") !! so Amp planning to mount it from the start of the heatsink (I know then the heat dessipation question arises ! but for that also I plan to use fan if noise is not an issue ) hence I need the other half for possible fan and the AC socket (here I plan to use the Socket with Line filter) so I don't think that much of a problem !!

Thanks for comments ! please do let me know if there's anything else ! Also please comment on the above !

Regards

Post subject: Re: Nmos 350 Amplifier
PostPosted: 03 Aug 2008, 09:39 
Editor

I need to spend some time learning Google Sketchup. It makes some really nice renders. How long does it take to make sketches like that?

Do you have a render of the inside layout? If the power supply is going to be at the front, how about putting the power switch at the front?

Also, just a few ventilation holes at the bottom would improve airflow inside the enclosure, but looking at the heat sinking, that likely won't be required.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2008, 17:35 

Nothing technical to add, but I wanted to say it looks sharp. Can't wait to see the finished product.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2008, 22:14 
Project Author

I like it! :)
Here is the site for anyone interested in schematic and such. Also it appears you may buy some components from Mr Quasi.
http://www.adam.com.au/cgpap/QuasiWeb/index.htm

Soundsgreat, I hope if you build this you will submit a project write up for us all. This is a different amp than most on DIY Audio Projects and would be nice to add some more variety.
Ri

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2008, 11:24 

Hi,

Thanks a lot guys for comments ! yes once I get all the materials I shall start to post them and use it as blog of this amp ! and Finally I shall also do a write-up on the assembly and the sound !

Yes indeed its very different from the usual stuff thats why I chose to give it try !

The PCB is ready but have to collect them ! once I do then I shall post the pics !

Once again thanks for the feedback's and comments !

Regards.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2008, 07:33 

Hi,

Guys as said earlier Am attaching the pics of the PCB and the cabinet ! I decided not to get the cabinet finished as I have some things to figure out,like where to put the power switch and whether to go for illuminated integrated power switch etc etc ! so thought this way I have some options to play around !

So this is just the Raw cabinet upon which I shall experiment and decided the final thing !!

As always all comments suggestions are most welcome and will be considered very important !! so please do feel free to post !

Regards.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2008, 12:55 
Editor

Looking good. One question. How do the TO-3 transistors get attached to the heat sink?

Cheers

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2008, 09:54 

Hi,

Thanks for liking it ! there's much to be done to it !! will keep updating as and when things progress :P

Its very very simple to mount the transistors ! just check the attached pics !!

So you see its very easy !! and besides this is best way of mounting since the devices are directly attached to the heatsink ! the other method of using wires I don not believe as its prone to lot of interference ! so for me its strict NO NO !!

Regards.