DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 17 Sep 2019, 00:32

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 12 Aug 2008, 17:51 
Project Author

At least you will have your Class A to keep you warm ;)

EDIT: Gainclone discussion split from this thread to: Gainclones

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2008, 18:59 
Editor

Shipping over the pond would be crazy. It is tough to get a good price on heavy item that needs to be shipped. Transformers I buy locally.

You are starting to seem like me with my projects. A whole bunch on the go at once. The problems is that they stay that way. On the go, but not finished.

Cheers

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2008, 09:00 

I've always been like this. Have lots of things on the go at once. I like to keep myself busy. My fiancee is a nurse and works long hours, so I often have to entertain myself. I don't know what overseas TV is like, but UK programming leaves much to be desired. Not only that, I don't fancy the thought of getting numb at one end and dumb at the other. I like to have something to do.

Anyway, I will soon have a photograph of the stereo prototype in a chassis. This one is fan cooled as we don't have sufficient heatsinks at the moment. We're waiting for some more to arrive. The one side of the amplifier is incomplete as we don't have another pair of transistors yet. These are en-route too. :)

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2008, 12:30 
Editor

TV must be good on this side of the pond because it seems that is all people do. Personally I watch little to no TV, but I will start watching a lot of NFL (American style Football) in the next little bit.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2008, 13:30 

We're innundated with re-runs of Friends, and similar style shows. Most of which were probably shown over here a good couple of years after they were originally shown on their home turf. If you like re-runs, old out of date car shows and "reality TV" this is the place to be. I don't know if you have heard of a reality show here called Big Brother....the reason for which escapes me. Sitting in a house, watching people sitting in a house. No wonder the general IQ of some people is plummeting. lol

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2008, 17:42 
Project Author

This household watches more sports than I can keep track of. My wife just got in the Hall of Fame at her university for Shot Put. Shes not 6 foot tall and 300lbs as it usually takes to do well in that sport. More like 5'4" and probably 135-140lbs. So we watch lots of football, a good amount of basketball, nearly zero baseball (exciting in person boring on TV), every second of the olympics, and lots of college sports if they are showing them on the tube. She is very into sports. The Amazing Race and Survivor have become staples. She likes the shows about fixing up your house and selling it and that Jon and Kate plus 8 show about the couple with twins and sextuplets. Thats about it. As you can see, I dont pick the shows. So that gives me lots of DIY Audio Projects and DIYaudio time as well as time to research and read about amp building.
Then we have an ice cream and call it a night.
Ri

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2008, 07:10 

Well, it's built. It's been built with whatever was to hand, and it's sounding very impressive. It's well worth building this amplifier, I've never heard anything quite like it. Lovely, and full bodied bass response, clear mids and crisp highs. Overall a very warm sounding amplifier.

We've played some familiar recordings through this amplifier, good recordings sound excellent, poor recordings are shown for their true colours. If you want to hear how bad a recording is, this amplifier will show you just how bad it is.

For the technical side of things, it's built with independent power supplies to reduce crosstalk, 10.5 AC toroidals voltage-doubled with +27V on each amplifier under load. And no hum whatsoever. As for the transistors, in the left channel the suggested transistors were used. Any old thing was chucked in the right (BCY71, BFY51 and 2x2N3716). With no obvious difference in the performance.

Photo's to come.... ;)

Total cost......£14 GBP which was for the suggested transistors in the left channel, anything else we managed to pick up from anywhere we could.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2008, 17:31 
Editor

Great stuff. Looking forward to the photos.

Cheers

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2008, 07:50 

Here are the photo's.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2008, 07:51 

some more....

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next