DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 26 Jan 2020, 12:49

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2008, 19:57 
Editor

I have polystyrene capacitors that look just like that.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2008, 03:18 

I don't know what the "chemistry" of these capacitors are. I guess Suflex is a manufacturer, but a search on Google found nothing. :( Hopefully, the power transistors and heatsinks will arrive today, so I can complete the build. :)

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2008, 02:24 

An update, one monobloc is now assembled, not in a case yet, but with the correct transistors, it's sounding great too. Just need a couple more heat sinks so we can get the other one built. Was going to build two amps, but it looks like we might build a couple more.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2008, 07:14 
Editor

Good stuff! :) I'm Looking forward to the finished product.

Cheers

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2008, 07:27 

Makes two of us. I'll provide basic drawlings in a later post, but I'll describe what I plan to do. Originally, the intention was to build these as a pair of monoblocs with a separate power supply, but I feel this idea might change.

The thought now is to build this as an integrated amplifier, completely separate power supplies for each power amp, and a third for the pre-amp. The power supply might be constructed as an external unit, I'm working on the drawings in AutoCAD, so depending on the units size on paper, I may decide to have separate units.

Hopefully, you'll like the idea. :D

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2008, 11:44 
Editor

I like external power supplies as I typically use efficient speakers and hum drives me crazy!

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2008, 12:13 
Project Author

Power supply for the pre can be as easy as a wallwart. Just keep it in mind. I got mine for $5, but if I had looked I probably could have found one not being used in storage somewhere in the basement.
You could save money by just building a monster power supply and tapping off of it for both amps.
Nice toroids available from APEX JR and EI transformers as well. He has great power supply caps. 12000uf at 50V for 1.99 each. Nichicon I think. I used them for my LM3886 and they are working great.
www.apexjr.com
Ri

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2008, 03:28 

Having given it some thought, I think I'll be building a monster supply for the amps. Fortunately, the power amps run off the same supply voltage as the pre-amps, so I can hopefully keep things relatively simple, just build it big. I have a friend who does metal fabrication for a living and has promised me he can get the case made once I have provided the drawings.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2008, 07:23 
Editor

Were you going to use a regulated supply?

Dan used a regulated JLH power supply for his Jean Hiraga Le Monstre - Class A Amplifier Project.

Cheers

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2008, 07:52 

I do intend to use a regulated supply for this build. At the moment, it's still running on a lab suply, but that can't continue naturally.:)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next