DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 14:13

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: need some advice
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2018, 16:52 

Today on my bench is an Accuphase e407 with a scratchy volume control.
Previous attempts have been made (by someone else) to shoot some cleaner in it to clean the control with limited success. the scratchy control always came back in about 2 weeks time. The gentleman that owns this piece of equipment asked me if I could disassemble the volume control and give it a good cleaning.Please see in the pictures provided of the volume control.
It turns out to be a alps control and I cant get it apart any farther than that is pictured.
The front of the control will not come off. It appears that it disassembles from the rear.
There is a spring clip holding the rear gear on that I really don't want to touch.
Anyone have any tricks on getting this apart?
If not I am going to show him why I do not want to go any farther and suggest for me to clean it while it is this far apart and if the scratchiness comes back that a replacement may have to be sourced.

I know this isn't a DIY project but I value your inputs on all my previous posts. I hope it is ok to post here.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Post subject: Re: need some advice
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2018, 17:59 

So all you've done is remove the motor. Get on EBay or Aliexpress and buy a new one. They're about $40.00 or so. Those Alps pots don't clean well, and usually need replacing.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2018, 19:02 

Thank You Blackdog
I was leaning in the direction on replacing the pot.
and you are right all i did is remove the motor.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2018, 01:25 

I would buy a new one, cleaning is only a short term thing, it's more than just dirt, the resistor element might be worn out already. There are a lot of different ALPS motorized pot on ebay, Mouser has some also, I bought quite a few, but I am not familiar with the one in your picture.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2018, 05:25 

I have done some searching on ebay and alliexpress last night their are no alps motorized volume control with a loudness tap an the only alps with a loudness tap have the incorrect shaft.
are there any other sources out there?

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2018, 11:51 

Sorry, I don't know. Try look for ALPS site to see whether you can find the same unit and go from there. Choice are limited for motorized pot.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2018, 11:55 

I agree the choice is limited I will see what I can find.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2018, 12:04 

Try contact Accuphase: http://www.accuphase.com/

See whether they have replacement parts.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2018, 17:41 

lol I didn't even think of the obvious. Check the manufacture.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2018, 19:28 

kitchi wrote:
lol I didn't even think of the obvious. Check the manufacture.

I went on their site, they are not receiving email until Nov/5 !!! I even went on ALPS, this is what I see:

https://www.alps.com/prod/info/E/HTML/Potentiometer/RotaryPotentiometers/RMP_RK16/RMP_RK16_list.html

They look like the ones I use, not yours. Can you put the pot together and take a picture? Particular the bottom to show the pin out?