DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 07 Dec 2019, 21:25

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2018, 05:37 

Has the seller asked for it to be returned or are you amusing they will.
It is my experience with alliexpress that they don't ask for a return.
If you haven't already put a dispute in.I am sure you can attach the mp3 or file of the noise to show what your complaint is.a video file with the sound would be better to attach though.
But make sure you go though their dispute process and not just talk to the seller directly.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2018, 11:54 

Yes, I would try talk to them again. This is no way to sell a product that is not working. It's dangerous to fix things like this with no schematic and no experience.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2018, 17:16 

OK, will do,it might be a couple of days before I get time though.
More soon. (Thanks)

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2018, 07:10 

Pre Woopsy. It's late.

Last edited by laurie54 on 30 Oct 2018, 07:26, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2018, 07:25 

Hi Brimley. Sure if you can work something out with the supplier then do so. If not, don't be scared of taking out the bottom screws and having a look. The pic you have is enough to identify the parts in question. If there isn't enough room to leave one leg of the cap soldered then desolder both legs and solder a short piece of wire to each leg. Then you have an axial lead capacitor. If you are uncomfortable having it float you can use hot melt glue to fix it to the PCB.
As for finding the gnd on the pot. It has a 1A, 1B, 1C pin and a 2A, 2B, 2C pic right behind the first 3 pins. One pin from each set will go to the same gnd location on the foil board. So either 1A and 2A or 1C and 2C will be going to the same place. That is the pot's gnd and where you will solder the one leg of each channel's capacitor.
I hope this makes sense. The picture of what you are being told and what it looks like inside can not be related to until you open it up and look.

If however it costs crazy amounts to return or you just can't and it is not working, you have little to loose. It may be beneficial to chat with a trades school teacher or a tech at an electronics store close to you, ( I mean a bench tech who works on electronics not the guy with a white shirt out front wanting to sell you a new something or other). I am sure there will be someone close with the knowledge to help you and yes you can cut the ground foil connection on the board then solder a wire from cap's remaining foil to the pot but, I am betting there will be no "foil track" on the gnd side just a large area on the board which is the ground plain as well as gnd return for the cct's pwr.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2018, 16:59 

Ok, thanks for the thoughts.
I am going through the dispute process, and it's a nightmare.
For rock etc, of course the noise is hidden, but for audiobooks or some classical music it's horrible;
but that's hard to get across in a video. I've already posted a video which I thought was proof beyond doubt
but apparently not. What's really annoying is that the seller must be well aware of this issue.
My wife's business partner could have fixed this noise problem in his sleep,but he passed away recently. Such a waste of talent and very sad.

I will take the box apart for further investigations but probably not this week, I have too many other commitments in the way.
(Life can be annoying like that..)
More ASAP.
Thanks all
:-)

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2018, 19:09 

Record using the quieter music that shows the noise, send it to them together with the original version without the noise. That should be easier to tell.

Then tell the seller that you belong to forums, that you will tell them your experience about Alliexpress. Go on Yielp to rate them and tell them if they don't correct the problem, you will keep the comments.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2018, 04:55 

Yes, I've recorded another mini amp which is fine and then the faulty one.
It's staggeringly obvious, if they still don't agree then I'll start my campaign
to get this issue #1 trending on twitter. (I might need a twitter account first..)
:-)
They even had a comment about noise on their website for this product
(turn it up to fix (!!!)) but that's been deleted now. Tells me all I need to know,
It's just a shame I found comment that after the purchase...
It's not the end of the world, I just object to being robbed, I'd never treat a customer like this.