DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 27 May 2018, 00:17

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2017, 00:25 

After much researching, reading forums and blogs, and watching I'm very confused. I was looking at chipamp.com and might order this kit. Many of the older websites discussing the LM3886 are no longer active. I guess they are no longer around because it goes back several years.

Is there something better out that would be geared to a beginner? Probably something equivalent to what Chipamp sells.

Thanks

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2017, 06:29 
Project Author

A lot build the Pass F5. You can get boards and (I think) even kits. I don't like them but you may.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2017, 13:07 
Project Author

Have you thought about something like the LA4425A? This is a very simple chip amp from On Semiconductor. It's about 5W output, runs on anywhere from 5 to 16v, and is VERY simple to use. It comes in a 5 pin SIP package and can be directly bolted to a heat sink. You can find data on them here: http://www.onsemi.com/PowerSolutions/product.do?id=LA4425A. Mouser sells them here for about $4 USD a piece. An added benefit is this particular chip requires almost no external parts. The lower the complexity, the fewer things which can go wrong. This is a primary consideration for a first build.

This chip makes for a very simple first build and they are readily available. The problem with a lot of chip amp projects out there is the availability of semiconductors. In general if you can't get a part form a major distributer (Mouser, Allied, Digikey, etc.) then stay away. Most of the parts you'll find on the internet are either old or counterfeit.

With the large number of really excellent chips currently in production, if just a matter of picking one and doing your build.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2017, 18:23 
Project Author

Hi, Simple is good...but I like the 3886. Yes they are more complex, but the available kits make it pretty easy. If you have to source everything a really mice SS power amp will cost about $100 in kits and other partrs like the transformer. It is true they have been around for a while, but they are durable and anything that can go wrong has been discovered and fixes are out there. However if you can live with 5 watts the LA4425A is a good option and like mentioned really a simple build.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2017, 19:00 

exactly, the lm3886. it's very simple and also got plenty of power. you can actually get a diy kit on ebay, where the electrolytics for the power supply is included on the same board. you only have to add enclosure, wiring, fuse, switch, transformator and input/output terminals. if you're interested in such a solution please tell, then i will find a link for this kit.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2017, 07:04 

I have heard negative reports about ordering from Chimpamp lately. I would not order from them, from what I have read you will never receive your kit. There is a Class A complete kit called the Amp Camp designed by Nelson Pass on sale right now for $269. Their use depends on the efficiency of your speakers since the output is not that much but the sound is top tier. I have built both the LM3886 and 3875. The last time I checked Peter Daniels was still offering the LM3875 kit for sale. With my speakers the 3875 sounds better.