DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 25 May 2018, 03:37

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2017, 01:50 

My first idea starting this Project was just to have a super clean Class A amplifier. This project for me has morphed into a small project to a huge one. It has came from normal headphone amp to a flagship amplifier.

I have added on (because i thought it would be a cool :smoking: ) a Raspberry Pi hence the server part of my project. At this current moment the server side is not complete and is in the works. I plan on using Volumio 2 as my primary software. I also plan on making videos of all my progress. Please Join me in the completion of this awesome project. My YouTube channel is called iybtech. I plan on making more videos with all my projects in the future.

(The Zen amp i built was design by Rod Elliot)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP2boI2eDIg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=780AG0KPrt4

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2017, 08:58 

hi

what a nice build, congrats ...i like the enclosure very much, looks like good quality. i think the idea using a rpi for server purpose is great. the simplicity of adding a 2 $ usb wifi adapter and a usb hd and we are ready to rock, got to be a hit. no wires needed everything works by a remote pc or even by a smartphone app, genius.

i also have a rpi 2b and i tried to use it as a music/media server ( i were using yatse and kodi as software for both my pc and smartphone ), with success. later i took it apart. now i use the raspbian os, which i found best and it just works as a normal laptop. it's paired with the motorola lapdock, which originally was intended for the atrix. i found a way to get rid of all the cables, by soldering wires directly to the board.

well i just had to go shopping with you guys ...so i did, right here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iihHvu_iKmI :-)

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2017, 15:47 

Thanks...... I'm using volumio 2 for the raspberry pi's software.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2017, 02:28 

I think it amazing how much money you can spend on a diy project. Once its done you can make it for a lot cheaper though.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2017, 08:45 

IYBtech wrote:
I think it amazing how much money you can spend on a diy project. Once its done you can make it for a lot cheaper though.

When quality is a factor, there is money to save by diy.

Just a thought, does your wifi works when your enclosure is mounted with the lid ? I mention this, because it could be a problem, if the pi3 onboard wifi/bluetooth antenna is encapsulated in metal.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2017, 08:52 

IYBtech wrote:

When quality is a factor, there is money to save by diy.

Just a thought, does your wifi works when your enclosure is mounted with the lid ? I mention this, because it could be a problem, if the pi3 onboard wifi/bluetooth antenna is encapsulated in metal.

IYBtech wrote:
Thanks...... I'm using volumio 2 for the raspberry pi's software.

Okay, Mr. Houston has told me about Volumio, so i have to try it ..and also Rune. Lately i've seen several of this dutch guy Hans Beekhuyzen youtube videos, which are very informative, related to both hardware and software for the pi,

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR4tuh ... PEA/videos

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2017, 07:06 

I actually haven't started that part of the project yet so i don't know for sure if the enclosure will be a problem.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2017, 12:59 

So this is the server side basically using volumio.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jziPhAEy1vs

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2017, 13:14 
Project Author

Hi, Nice build and good features. My one concern is the placement of the heat sinks inside the chassis. Heat is the enemy of electronics and if they don't fail they are often prone to strange and unexpected behavior. I have seen similar cases with heat sinks built into the sides that would be my choice for this project.

Good listening
Bruce