DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 Feb 2018, 04:34

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2016, 05:24 
Project Author

I'm posting here first for all my loyal fans to see (lol). Just finished and only tested on small metal test speakers. No real idea how they sound except to say they work. Appears to be no hum or otherwise, always a good start. Even thought you buy the modules fully assembled build time is high. I spent most of the day just completing them after already spending a lot of hours on the back plate.

Bits and pieces; The Tripath modules are the T3 150W monoblocks. The gate controller chip proudly displays the Tripath name. The modules are quite small and cut down. No mechanical speaker protection, only small electro on board and not a lot of parts. Could be a sign of better things to come. The tranni is a 300VAC 30-0-30 and I paralleled the secondaries. That provides 30VAC @ 10A. Rectification is by a 10A rec. bridge which is soldered directly onto the first cap to ensure maximum current transfer to that cap. The secondaries are soldered directly to the rec, bridge. A 0.1uf poly bypasses the first cap to reduce bridge and cap noise. And as usual it has its onw mains EMI\RFI filter.

The caps are 2X Mundorf MLytic 22,000uf 63V (44,000uf per monoblock). They are ultra low ESR audio grade and cost $60 each a total of four is required. I wanted to use the 47,000uf high current versions but I couldn't fit them in the case. Power wiring is via thick speaker wire and wiring to extra heavy duty speaker binding posts is very thick speaker wire and is quite short.

Connection to the board is by large brass spades so a board replacement is an easy job. RCAs are solid copper, palladium and Teflon. The enclosure is steel with a nice finish. Only four large screws hold the enclosure together as a lot of it "clicks" together. Speaker binding post are two way, are insulated and solid brass, big and heavy but nice!! The PS will deliver 420W and the amp can deliver 300W into 4ohms or 150W into 8ohm with 300W peaks. I called the monoblocks "Tutu" (think Mola Mola)

I'll get back with some listening notes.

Attachment:
PB153530 (800x600).jpg
Attachment:
PB153533 (800x600).jpg
Attachment:
PB153536 (800x600).jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2016, 06:54 

I knew the modules were mono's but I wrongly assumed you were just use one PS in a single case. Completely separate mono's are always better. I look forward to hearing your opinion of sound vs the T4.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2016, 07:21 
Project Author

I was inspired by the Mola Mola(s) but had thought about a dual mono build. By not using the super big Mundorfs I was able to make true monoblocks but still use high-end audio grade filter caps. Tomorrow I will get a chance to listen for hours. The guy (a member) who now has my T4 V1.3 is keen to take a listen. His ear is better than mine so he may be the final judge.

I sold the super expensive 300B. Now I just have a 6V6 (which I like) and a 330W UX-171A power tube amp. But I'm about to build a Matt design 6L6.

I'll come back with some listening notes.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2016, 16:55 
Project Author

I have about 10 or so hours of play on the newies. Started pretty bright but have settled a little. I'm assuming over the next 40 to 50 hours more settling will be had. Good to listen to. Violins started squeaky but now more mellow. But the best material is human voice and piano or orchestra. Voice is extra earthy. I thought my IRS2092 based Class D did voice and piano well but these new monos are a whole run up the ladder better. You can hear even more character and resonances in voice. I'm in for another big session today so hopefully more improvement.

Attachment:
image.jpeg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2016, 07:38 

Great build. I look forward to hearing more.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2016, 17:16 
Project Author

The first few hours of listening was a bit painful. I shouldn't play violin based music on a brand new amp. Way to squeaky. But now with about 20hours of play in the heatsinks the whole amp character has changed. For the better, much better.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2016, 18:13 
Project Author

A friend dropped by yesterday and was impressed with what he heard. Today the amps go to a fellow members house for a listen on his beautiful Harbeths. Let you know how they marriage went. Love the Harbeths, it will be interesting to see how the combo fairs.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2016, 03:00 
Project Author

It may seem odd to post how your speakers sound in the T3 Class D thread but not so. The new T3 monoblocks have made my 15" Beymas (VoXGrandious) sound really excellent. It's like the Beymas always had this phenomenal performance always tucked away and we're just waiting for the right amp to really set them free.

Well the T3 monoblocks, "Tutu", were just the amps to turn them lose. They sounded glorious and had an audiophile friend singing thier praises from a position of rooted disbelief. Tutu sounded so good, just a few days after completion they are sold. I'm already planning the next build and also have a 6L6 tuber to get started.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2016, 00:14 
Project Author

This amp sold. I was going to build another T3 but I think it is time to move on. My Black Lace 6V6 SE UL amp has some NOS tubes in it and I'm enjoying that at the mo. Also I still have the 250W IRS2092 amp so if I need a "D" fix it is only a power switch away.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2016, 06:15 
Project Author

I borrowed back the T3 today to take to another experimental Class D amp building mate. We played the T3 on his massive 400lb speakers. They are 90+ db efficient. It all sounded very good and possibly even a little better than his super expensive 833 tube amp.