DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 23 Feb 2018, 07:45

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: carlos opinion of zca
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2016, 07:49 

is it okay to judge an amplifier, if you don't even have chosen the right components ? i think not !

judge yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAvV9CyQvIg

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2016, 15:05 

The fact he gave zero reasons for disliking it immediately makes me dismiss his arguement as invalid.

Audio is like food, not everything will appeal to everyone, but it's all good. Even Chef Ramsay explains why someone is getting a "1" or a "5" on their dish.

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2016, 04:29 

Geek wrote:
The fact he gave zero reasons for disliking it immediately makes me dismiss his arguement as invalid.

Exactly ...he should at least tell us what he don't like and also be constructive and tell what could have been done different.

Anyway, he could say 'no' in four different language :beerchug:

Geek wrote:
Audio is like food, not everything will appeal to everyone, but it's all good. Even Chef Ramsay explains why someone is getting a "1" or a "5" on their dish.

Ramsey, the most honest man on this planet ( some people love him, other people hate him ) ....i do like the very constructive Ramsey :-)

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2016, 12:18 

KrammeAcoustics wrote:
is it okay to judge an amplifier, if you don't even have chosen the right components ? i think not !

It might be the case that the basic design is flawed such that even the 'right' components are no help. For instance, the very earliest Dynaco ST120s sounded like glass in a blender, blew up by the numbers and were, although powerful for the time, pretty wretched examples of the species. So, when I see a surviving example today, I do not need to listen to it to know that.

I do know that modified early ST120s * can* sound rather pleasant. But! There are so many variants that I would have to hear that modified example to be sure.

Just a thought.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2016, 13:52 

Peter W. wrote:
KrammeAcoustics wrote:

It might be the case that the basic design is flawed such that even the 'right' components are no help.

Well, the designer of that amp hangs out here. Here's the web page on it:
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Solid/ZCA/ZCA.htm

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2016, 00:56 
Project Author

As the father of the ZCA I'm cool with criticism as long as it remains impersonal. His attitude towards a build was a bit light hearted and off hand. I agree with some of the posts above that better components, which are specified in the design and a properly constructed cct. may have produced a better amp. I know it works and sounds very good with and only with the components as in the cct.

There are many very fine ZCAs in the wild and I know from the many posts I have read and emails I have received there are some real fans of the design. So his shabby build has prompted a shabby remark. Quiet possibly a window into his attitude to DIY audio. I take it seriously!

Also those who have built the MCA (son of ZCA) are also very happy. I have plans for a MCA integrated. But lots more tube builds first.