DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 08:20

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2016, 08:06 

So I plan on using the ICEpower 50ASX2 in my DIY speaker. I'm very new to DIY amplifiers, which is why I'm using the ICEpower amps because there is no doubt on their excellent sound quality compared to all the eBay class D amps, so no poorly designed boards or mods needed, and the power supply is already built into the amp, simplifying a lot of stuff.

Here's a link to the datasheet of this amplifier

http://www.icepower.bang-olufsen.com/fi ... 150709.pdf

Now, my question is, what do I need to get this amp working and where do I buy it? From what I can see, I would need the following

1. AC plug (what kind do I need?) and internal cable to feed it to the amp
2. RCA plugs and internal cables to feed it to the amp
3. Internal speaker wires

However, I do not know which kind of internal cables I need, or even where to buy any of the stuff I mentioned above. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2016, 15:44 

Note the interpolations. But, first:

a) If you are not familiar with working with electronics, this is NOT the place to start. Consequences of a mistake will at least be expensive, and possibly dangerous.
b) Seek help from an experienced friend to walk you through the work and help you with safety and such.
c) Good tools are expensive. Poor tools are dangerous and a waste of time. Better fewer and better tools than many poor ones.
d) Follow manufacturer directions scrupulously.
e) Measure twice, cut once.
f) Take lots of pictures and check your work constantly.

bcodemz wrote:
So I plan on using the ICEpower 50ASX2 in my DIY speaker. I'm very new to DIY amplifiers, which is why I'm using the ICEpower amps because there is no doubt on their excellent sound quality compared to all the eBay class D amps, so no poorly designed boards or mods needed, and the power supply is already built into the amp, simplifying a lot of stuff.

Here's a link to the datasheet of this amplifier

http://www.icepower.bang-olufsen.com/fi ... 150709.pdf

Now, my question is, what do I need to get this amp working and where do I buy it? From what I can see, I would need the following

1. AC plug (what kind do I need?) and internal cable to feed it to the amp You need a chassis to house everyting, preferably one with a pre-set socket. You will need the appropriate switch(es), fuse holder and so forth. You may need to drill or otherwise work with sheet-metal to do this. I would hesitate to install this device "bare" even in a DIY speaker box, as line-voltage would be present at all times. So, in a chassis covered and shielded would be best.
2. RCA plugs and internal cables to feed it to the amp As above, and also, perhaps, a selector switch so as to be able to choose between multiple sources. And, output jacks for the speakers. Again I would feel better if this were a self-contained entity.
3. Internal speaker wires The internal distances are negligible such that about any quality wire at 20 gauge or better will do.

Mouser Electronics, Newark Electronics and several others will have 100% of what you need by way of parts.

However, I do not know which kind of internal cables I need, or even where to buy any of the stuff I mentioned above. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Shielded cable, possibly (there are other options) for the inputs, twisted wire for the outputs. Some skill and knowledge is involved in getting it right - hard to explain in terms simple enough, yet to cover the ground properly as to make sense without pictures and hands-on.

For an experienced kit-builder, this would not be much of an issue. For someone of limited experience doing it without hands-on help, it could as noted be difficult and expensive.