DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 05:06

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2016, 05:20 

HI

I'm looking into a DIY project but I can't seem to find any schematic with the input options I'm chasing so I decided to ask if anyone has heard of one. I'm hoping to find quite a simple circuit.

Requirements:

-Balanced (XLR) line level inputs ( L + R)
-Unbalanced (1/4") line level inputs (L + R)
-RCA inputs (L + R)

I thought it would be a bit simpler to find something but I can only find RCA based amps. The purpose is for a mixer and it doesn't have to be really high powered. With my knowledge of amps, I can only refer to guitar amplifiers, and would need max about 30w. Open to suggestions

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2016, 05:12 

Also a relevant question maybe adding inputs on a schematic is the same as adding the extra parts and connectors, essentially just recreating the same thing side by side in series? rendering my question mute?

I just figured there must be something different for each one, not just the same electronics, anyway as you can see I'm new and definitely need the schematics and guides

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2016, 06:35 

Is this for professional or HiFi?

Balanced-to-unbalanced is easy, great CMRR (common mode rejection ratio) is not.

Unless you're doing a 50 foot+ run of cable or have a rediculously electrically-noisy environment (like most places DJ's have to work at each night), a balanced input using an op-amp in differential mode will work. Otherwise you might want to grab a pair of matcher transformers. Those can range from $20/ea. Edcor to $700/pr. vintage Altec Lansing.

For simplicity, look at the input and power amplifer stages as two things. There's thousands of power amp schematics on Google.... from the "Muntzy" one I.C. solution to true "Goldburg" designs using dozens of discrete parts.

The input section can be a simple I.C. or transformer, as mentioned. As for having 1/4", RCA and XLR in one go, that's the easiest part ;)

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2016, 17:07 
Project Author

I second the use of matching trannies. Easy to do and if you need phantom power at some point a lot easier than with an IC input.

Good listening
Bruce