DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 11:21

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 06 Oct 2016, 04:37 

Looking forward to it Mark

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2016, 16:57 

Mark, I'm really enjoying listening to your Ghost amp at the moment. Other amps I've heard lately can sometimes sound initially impressive but then become irritating or boring long term.
Keep up the good work.

How is your new "killer" amp progressing?

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2016, 17:22 
Project Author

Sound Barrier wrote:
Mark, I'm really enjoying listening to your Ghost amp at the moment. Other amps I've heard lately can sometimes sound initially impressive but then become irritating or boring long term.
Keep up the good work.

How is your new "killer" amp progressing?

The modules finally turned up. I wanted to build mono blocks with the huge Mundorf caps but the enclosures I wanted to use are not tall enough. At this point I maybe building a dual mono amp or if I don't use the Mundorfs and use smaller caps I can still build monoblocks. I am yet to finally decide.

Thanks for the nice comments. I respect you judgement on gear performance and find you able to enjoy both SS and tube gear in equal measure and therefore no bias in evaluation of a particular piece of gear. After this time how does The Ghost stack up against the upgraded Maya?

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2016, 06:53 

I am eagerly awaiting your results as well.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2016, 16:43 
Project Author

I'm wondering if I should start a new thread for the T3 mono boards?

Yes think I will. Lookout for it.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2016, 17:19 
Project Author

The guy who bought this amp has since replaced the only caps in the audio path with 1uf Auricap. Not sure what the foil metal is here but I'm told the improvements are substantial. Locally we can purchase Auricaps but I would like to use the same size on the board and that is a 2.2uf Jantzen cap. The Jantzens are no slouch when it some to audio caps. Of course there is better, there always is. I may just build the amp with what the amp module comes with and see how it sounds. Replacing the cap is simple. Any comments?
Attachment:
image.jpeg
Attachment:
image.jpeg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2016, 05:31 

I feel like both the Jantzen and Auricaps are quality excellent caps and maybe just sound different. If he listens with the Auricaps for a few weeks and then put the Jantzen's back in to compare he may or may not think the same about the Auricaps being better. I would do as you said and listen to the board as is first. This is with the assumption that the Jantzens are authentic.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2016, 05:53 
Project Author

Does the term "Cross-Cap" worry you? But you give me hope. Leave as is!

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2017, 08:38 

I've decided to give this board a go. I ordered an Antek 400VA 32V AC along with some 15K 63V caps for the PS. I have been using one of the Sure boards that is similar and I have been impressed with the sound of it so why not.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2017, 09:12 
Project Author

wdecho wrote:
I've decided to give this board a go. I ordered an Antek 400VA 32V AC along with some 15K 63V caps for the PS. I have been using one of the Sure boards that is similar and I have been impressed with the sound of it so why not.

The amps (four of them) I made with these modules all sold. One member who has Harbeth 40.2 has this amp and one pair of my Tripath T3 monoblocks. He has a good ear. He also has four of my power amps, SS and tube including my super expensive 300B I made. He also has a one of my tube preamps.

Once more I trust his ear. The Tripath T3 mono 160W modules I use (quite cheap) used the way I made my monoblocks with the expensive Mundorf supreme filter caps is the best amp of all the amps he has including an ASPEN amp? He clams the T3 monoblocks outperforms every amp he has owns. He feels they are (almost) without fault. I'm suggesting you use the T3 mono modules in monoblock amps and use audio grade filter caps and a few other tricks I've picked up.

Happy to guide and help where required.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next