DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 17 Feb 2018, 22:28

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2016, 09:46 
Project Author

Attachment:
image.jpeg
Yet another Tripath T4 180W Class D amp. This one boasts the latest Hifimediy T4 module, V1.3. Still with speaker crowbar protection and high quality metal film input cap.

Sounds good so far but needs 50hours of play to really settle. The PS can deliver 13A continuous and is rated 560W. The amp can only deliver 360W. Also I built the PS so it can deliver the highest current possible. This was partly done by mounting the rectifier bridge directly on the first cap. Also there is a number of poly caps snubbing the larger filter caps to remove HF noise from the rectifier and noise from the larger filter caps.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2016, 08:26 

Beautiful build!
It looks like this amp (the T4) does not have a volume pot - it that correct? Can it therefore only be used with a preamp?
You suggested a Nelson Pass BoZ single JFET preamp (under another topic) for my T1 amp. Would the BoZ be a good option for any of the HiFiMeDIY T-amps then? If so, can one then build the BoZ and the T1 (without a volume pot) into one enclosure to accept line input sources like a DAC, iPod or Cell Phone?
Sorry for all the questions.
- Jerry

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2016, 19:20 
Project Author

JerryB wrote:
Beautiful build!
It looks like this amp (the T4) does not have a volume pot - it that correct? Can it therefore only be used with a preamp?
You suggested a Nelson Pass BoZ single JFET preamp (under another topic) for my T1 amp. Would the BoZ be a good option for any of the HiFiMeDIY T-amps then? If so, can one then build the BoZ and the T1 (without a volume pot) into one enclosure to accept line input sources like a DAC, iPod or Cell Phone?
Sorry for all the questions.
- Jerry

Yes this is a power amp only. Funny though two of these I sold to one guy he brought them back and had me add attenuators. I used 24 step step attenuators. One I did make initially with attenuator also sold to someone who didn't want to use a preamp.

I use a two stage tube preamp with three selectable inputs. Because it is two stage it can work into higher loads and I use it to drive my latest T4. I would recommend you build an integrated amp with preamp, volume control and a few selectable inputs in the one encloser. Good way to go. If you keep preamp and power amp seperate you can mix and match. I have a few SS and tube preamps so I can try diffent combinations. But I have also thought about an intergrated.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2016, 19:25 
Project Author

Warning, the new T4 modules have one speaker terminal marked incorrectly. One speaker is out of phase. Simply reverse one pair of speaker wires connecting to the amp module. I informed hifimediy and they said they didn't know and yes I was right. They may include an errata note but may not. They said in the next run they will correct the problem. But a simple listen to test tracks highlighting phase will show that there is no centre image if the module is incorrectly marked.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2016, 07:11 

What size VA rating transformer would you recommend for this build from Antek here in the USA.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2016, 19:52 
Project Author

With a total of 360W capability at 48V your PS would need to be able to deliver close to 8A. A 300VA tranni at 30V would be suficient. My 500VA tranni can deliver 16A at 30V

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2016, 17:16 

Great amp. Mark! I think it sounds mellow, pure and spacious on my Harbeth M40.2 speakers.
Have you decided which preamp to run it with ? I'm not using a preamp at all.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2016, 19:28 
Project Author

Sound Barrier wrote:
Great amp. Mark! I think it sounds mellow, pure and spacious on my Harbeth M40.2 speakers.
Have you decided which preamp to run it with ? I'm not using a preamp at all.

I have stayed with the same preamp I have been using for quite a while across all amps and that is my DIY two stage tube preamp. It has three selectable inputs which is what I need and an external AC transformer. This one hails from the SC kit of many moons ago. Caps are orange drops and tubes GE NOS (or were before I got them now very run in) 12AU7. Internal wiring is all 0.7mm pure silver wire. Though it is rough inside (very early build) it is dead silent and looks good with gold plated 4oz knob and alps blue velvet pot.

I tried to sell it on SNA but thankfully no one bought it. I love it. I've tested it to 160KHz.

I'm current using the 250W Class D (in fact I'm hardly using anything else these days) I also brought around the other day. I think the preamp just tames it enough to synergise my whole system. My 15" concentric Beymas are a little forward and when you add an extremely detailed and transparent fast amp it can be a bit in your face. The tube preamp just mellows it up a touch.

How is the amp going Russ?

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2016, 22:55 

Hi Mark,

My amp (The Ghost) sounds awesome. It works very well in my system without a preamp but I am keeping an open mind as to whether I should include one in the future.

Thanks for letting me know about your preamp.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2016, 23:43 
Project Author

Sound Barrier wrote:
Hi Mark,

My amp (The Ghost) sounds awesome. It works very well in my system without a preamp but I am keeping an open mind as to whether I should include one in the future.

Thanks for letting me know about your preamp.

Real glad you like it. I'm also enjoying the IRS 250W amp. Playing it as I type.

I'm waiting on the 150W mono T3 boards to come. I'm planning a killer build.