DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 04:19

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2016, 03:21 

I'm thinking of an idea that might have a practical use.

Simple amps using a tube in class A, using a transformer for the plate load, are common for beginners and preferred by some. I am thinking of a way to make one using transistors.

Where tube transformers require large turns ratios to step a speaker up to plate load impedance, transistors like to see less impedance for useful power out. With an 18v supply I could get 1.5w if I had a collector load of 80 ohms or so. That's a turns ratio of 3.2-ish. Sadly, I'd probably have to make my own transformer.

I'd have to find a small transformer where I could scrap the existing windings and wind on a new set for audio. I'd have to impart a small gap in the core for it to work well. If I could do that, it's possible I could make such an amplifier. It would be very simple and would make for a decent amplifier using minimal parts. A student of http://www.runoffgroove.com could find it a useful amp for making small preamps while being a little more substantial than something like a Ruby or Little Gem.

My interest in this could turn to modulators. If I could make an amplifier capable of putting 2 watts into a class C power amplifier, I'd be able to modulate the thing and have AM transmission. Using transistors, thats probably the easiest way of doing it.

Ed

You can't have too much heat sink.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2016, 15:03 

18V... 1.5W of power?

Here:
http://www.edcorusa.com/xsm_series

Remember that transformers work off ratios. Doing a ratio for an 8 ohm load, won't spec out as the datasheet, but will work.

If it's a modulator for a tube class-C final stage, you'll need proper OPT's from their Class-X section.

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2016, 15:09 

That's another thing I considered. Rather than spend 14 for an experiment, I'm thinking of getting an alarm clock at a junk store, hitting it with a hammer, and rewinding the small transformer just to see if it will work.

If you have a transformer less amplifier running off 12v, the most power you can see into 8 ohms is just under 1.5v...if you run it rail to rail. Most amplifiers won't do that. Someone who wanted to build a transistor amplifier would do well to use 18v or higher.

Ed

You can't have too much heat sink.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2016, 16:10 

Which is why car speakers got standardized to 4 ohms.

Fortunately a transformer doubles your swing, allowing for four times the output (minus losses).

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2016, 18:18 
Project Author

If you can find a really old car radio it might have the trannie you want and in the early days of transistors they actually did use output transformers as the transistors did not mate well with the load.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2016, 19:08 

That's right!

Look in a scrapyard for old AMC anything, Jeep CJ, Ford Pinto's, etc. with AM-only.