DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 04:52

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2018, 11:18 

Hi everyone, I’m a longtime lurker and first time poster! In the past I have built some guitar pedal clones and a Neve 1073 microphone preamp clone but never any hifi equipment.
I recently aquired a pair of B+W 685 S2 speakers and would like to put together a complementary system. The speakers’ sensitivity rating is 87dB spl (2.83V, 1m), nominal impedance of 8 ohm (minimum 4 ohm) and the manufacturer recommends 25-100 watts @ 8 ohms.

Any suggestions on an amp project that will complement the speakers I have in regards to audio quality and output power?

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2018, 21:36 
Editor

Welcome, depending on how much you want to spend and what level of effort, there are many options. Simple would be to buy a built module, class-D for example and add a power supply + enclosure. Of course you could get that as a kit as well. Another option would be a chip amp (class-AB) as that would work well with those speakers. Both routes can deliver really good value. There would be a number of solid state projects that would also be suitable. A class-A amp would be the most expensive and the most challenging to build.

Did you have a particular preference as to the type of amp you wanted? Did you want to build from a module, kit or source the parts. What sort of budget?

Cheers

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2018, 22:43 

It all depends on how much you know about electronics. Building an amp is very different from a guitar pedal. I designed both, they are not even close to the same.

For power amp, you have to deal with chassis and heatsink, the power supply on top of the circuit module. It's not going to be simple or a very short term thing to build one. So it all depends on you how adventurous you are, whether your goal is save money or for the ride. If you want to build one to save money, DON'T, it will cost you a whole lot more to build. Go on ebay and buy a used one is a lot cheaper.

If you are interested in learning and building, I would look at some amp pcb kits. They have Nelson Pass's Aleph, Jean Hiraga amp pcb kits on ebay. Those are quite famous DIY amps. Then you can come here and have your own thread and people can help you. BUT, just remember, it's NOT a one day, nor even one week project. I design and build amps, I am very ano in building, from stuffing pcb to finish test the amp, it's about 2 months( of cause I am not doing it full time, say about 2hrs a day, also my circuit is very big). Of cause you can do it in sloppy way and be a little faster. But still it's a long process, nothing like building a guitar pedal kind of one day thing.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l2632.R3.TR7.TRC2.A0.H0.Xaleph+.TRS0&_nkw=aleph&_sacat=32852

Please note, I have no experience with these kits, just a suggestion.