DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 May 2019, 12:55

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2010, 12:18 

I'm currently trying to work out the layout, but being my first time, its a bit of a pain. i;m currently messing with this layout
though, i'm pondering getting a lower rated 1uf capacitor, since the one i have is HUGE. i also think i have way too many ground points, but i would rather not stack components like the original. Anyone who's done a printed board can share their design so we could see? also, if someone would check mine for obvious flaws, i'd be grateful,

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2010, 13:42 
Editor

Your layout looks fine, but your resistor values don't match.

4.7 should be 4k7
100 should be 100k
100R should be 100k

One power ground and one signal ground would be best.

As for the PCB, there is development on this front. First off, Roduser did do a PCB layout (2 pages back). He was kind enough send me a PCB but I have yet to put it together. When I do make that build I had planned to update the project page.

Also Thomas Bethe has emailed a PCB layout which I have not had a chance to look at in great detail. Eventually I would add his PCB layout to the project page. I will look at his layout and perhaps we will post it in this thread for the time being.

Cheers

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2010, 20:48 

yeah, i have the right values, but messed it up on the version i was doing. This was about my 10th attempt at it (with different softwares - this is my first, from scratch, build) and i might tweak it a bit more (the 1uf 240Vcap is just a pain, and is likely to get put out to pasture for another build, and replaced by a smaller 100v cap) before i build it.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2010, 13:22 
Editor

11th time may be the charm! :twisted:

Check out this great software package for making p2p or protoboard layout images: DIY Layout Creator.
Cheers

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2010, 01:22 

i've messed with that (v2 seems to support very few packages) and fritzing. paint.net works for me, and i am making a few more small changes to make a more compact circuit - to save myself needing to have very long traces, and try to reduce seperate ground points. i'll probably post it up once i'm done, both to get more eyeballs to check on it, and if someone else wants to build it the way i did.

And yes, i suppose this one *does* go out to 11.

Speaking of which, if i wanted to have a volume control pot (i'm still deciding on it), should i have it on the input or output side?

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2010, 13:09 

faileas wrote:
Speaking of which, if i wanted to have a volume control pot (i'm still deciding on it), should i have it on the input or output side?

A:
Input side !

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2010, 17:52 

Just made a test-setup of the Szekeres amp and modified it a bit, to be a good match for my Philips SHP8900 earphones. I couldn't find 5 Ohm resistors in my sortiment, for the LM317, so i tried two 10 Ohms and that leads to try three, so now its running with 3,33 Ohm for both LM317's. When calculating it here, it now seems to draw around 0,38 A per channel, instead of 0, 25 A. Soundperformance improves a bit ( 3,3 Ohm vs. 5 Ohm ) ...and offcourse the amp gets hotter. :headphones:

I've used all my IRF510and 610, so i instead i've found a pair of BUZ73A ...not perfect data, but they seems to work fine.

I'm using 1000 uF and 680 nF caps for the output and 12 V battery powersupply, coupled with two 4700 uF and 1 uF caps. It's totally free of hum and any kind of noise or distortion, which is very important when it comes to head-fi. I think this amp is a good bunch of class A+ :mrgreen:

I'm still happy about my NP-100v12, but unfortunately it's not silent ( pointing at the tube ) when listening music, with quiet passages. I think the Szekeres amp is a good supplement ...maybe i'll try Tom Bethe's Reloaded - rev.3 to, let's see. ;)

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2010, 13:20 

Simple ver. of mine.

Szekeres ( addendum ) ver.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2010, 13:34 
Editor

I found that like the sound with higher voltage. 15-18V @ 0.25A worked better than 12V.

Kramme, any photod of your build?
Cheers

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2010, 15:06 

Gio wrote:
I found that like the sound with higher voltage. 15-18V @ 0.25A worked better than 12V.

Kramme, any photod of your build?

Hi Gio

15 - 18 VDC okay maybe i should try that.

Photos ..nope, but try to imagine yourself a bunch of wires and components on a rubbermat :mrgreen: ...which reminds me, also to finish up my ZCA. :?

If interested i could take some photos. I think it would be more interesting, when it's build into an enclosure.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next