DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 26 May 2018, 13:12

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NE5532 vs. OPA2134
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2015, 15:04 

Hi forum

I'm playing around with some simple headphone amps ( again ) with NE5532 vs. OPA2134 OP amps. I've studied around in different forums and found information about differences between the resistor value going to ground. For one of the OP amp it's optimal with 1k and for the other one it's 2k. Sadly i've found controversial and opposite information, then i just have to ask you guys, which one is which ?

Another isue, this time i've added the TLE2426 virtual ground voltage rail splitter in the PSU, It's a really nice little component, which i can recommend.

NE5532 datasheet

OPA2134 datasheet

TLE2426 datasheet

10k/1k

8,2k/2k ( note: if gain x10 is wanted, change the 8,2k value to 20k )

Here's pinout for both OPA2134 and NE5532, if someone finding it interesting

Here's TLE2426

Here's some good reading about Virtual Ground Circuits

At last the two setup's in test ( picture )

Post subject: Re: NE5532 vs. OPA2134
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2015, 18:01 
Project Author

Hi, For typical use either will do and in reality the value of the resistor can vary over a wide range. I use the OP2134 in a non-inverting phono preamp design with either 100R (for LOMC) or 47K (for MM/MI) for the non-inverting load and 47R or 300R for the inverting ground connection to select the gain. Gain is about 40 and 55 db with the RIAA network in the feed back loop. The resulting preamp is very quiet and performs with out any issues. I also use the OPA2134 as a single gain stage that will drive headphones with a 100K pot on the non-inverting side and a fixed 10K on the inverting one with a 100K feed back resistor. The one area that I feel you might look into is a higher DC voltage. I run mine at +/- 12 VDC. The TLE IC is a good splitter and with about 20-24 input would do fine. I use MeanWell DC to DC converters that take 9-18 input and deliver a regualted +/- 12 output.

IMO the choice of either IC is not a big factor as both are quite suitable for audio. The value of the inverting input to ground resistor is not critical. My experience has been than anything from 47R to about 1meg is OK. For very low values however I think that making it roughly equal to the one on the inverting side seems to be advisable. My budget phono preamp deviates from this obviously, but I can not detect any problems with how it performs. Some individuals say that the distortion level is higher because of the choice of resistor values..... to my way of thinking the difference between something on the order of 0.000001% and as much as even 0.01% is insignificant as everything in your system is orders of magnitude worse.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2015, 05:54 
Project Author

I use the CMoy differential voltage spliter with 3 X 9V for my LOMC which Bruce designed. I use two 4.7K resistors and 2 X 220uf 16V LESR caps and get excellent results. When I make my single 9V battery compact CMoy copies I use the same differential network. Fortunately the OPA2134s will run down to +\- 2.5V. 9V batteries are considered exhausted at 7V which means the chip only has to suffer with +\- 3.5V. At less than AU$8 each the OPA2134 has NO competition.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2015, 01:52 

G'day all, an interesting thread. Although I am a fan of the OPA2134, I still have very considerable respect for the NE5532. If anything, it has a more 'neutral' sound than the (possibly slightly euphonic) OPA2134, but its performance is very reliable and dependable and of a very high standard, which possibly explains its long standing use in 'professional' audio gear.

In fact right now I'm listening to one of my DIY phono stages using a combination of NE5534's and NE5532's and it sounds excellent. Regards, Felix.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2015, 11:25 

gofar99 wrote:
Hi, For typical use either will do and in reality the value of the resistor can vary over a wide range. I use the OP2134 in a non-inverting phono preamp design with either 100R (for LOMC) or 47K (for MM/MI) for the non-inverting load and 47R or 300R for the inverting ground connection to select the gain. Gain is about 40 and 55 db with the RIAA network in the feed back loop. The resulting preamp is very quiet and performs with out any issues. I also use the OPA2134 as a single gain stage that will drive headphones with a 100K pot on the non-inverting side and a fixed 10K on the inverting one with a 100K feed back resistor. The one area that I feel you might look into is a higher DC voltage. I run mine at +/- 12 VDC. The TLE IC is a good splitter and with about 20-24 input would do fine. I use MeanWell DC to DC converters that take 9-18 input and deliver a regualted +/- 12 output.

IMO the choice of either IC is not a big factor as both are quite suitable for audio. The value of the inverting input to ground resistor is not critical. My experience has been than anything from 47R to about 1meg is OK. For very low values however I think that making it roughly equal to the one on the inverting side seems to be advisable. My budget phono preamp deviates from this obviously, but I can not detect any problems with how it performs. Some individuals say that the distortion level is higher because of the choice of resistor values..... to my way of thinking the difference between something on the order of 0.000001% and as much as even 0.01% is insignificant as everything in your system is orders of magnitude worse.

Good listening
Bruce

First thanks for answering this thread to Bruce, Mark and Felix.

Bruce:
I've tried with different values on the inverting side, from 2,2k ~ 22k to ground and 10k ~ 100k for the feedback. I've ended up in 2,2k/10k which gives around a factor of 4,5 amplification. I couldn't hear any differences ...only when i tried 2,2k/100k ( which was a failure, forgot to change one set of resistors while testing ) ...and of course it was different, because then we've got a factor of 45 amplification. When trying with 22k/47k i think it was different, this was only an amplification factor of 2. I've also tried different values on the non inverted side, with input resistor to ground values between 10 k and 220 k.

All in all i think it suits both NE55322 and OPA2134 with an amplification factor between 5 ~ 10. Most construction seen around is also around these values, so i guess this must be optimal for these components.

I find it nice sounding with a regulated ps of +/- 6 v ....when turning it to +/- 12 v it went a bit distorted and even worse at +/- 18 v. It was a setup with batteries.

mwhouston wrote:
I use the CMoy differential voltage spliter with 3 X 9V for my LOMC which Bruce designed. I use two 4.7K resistors and 2 X 220uf 16V LESR caps and get excellent results. When I make my single 9V battery compact CMoy copies I use the same differential network. Fortunately the OPA2134s will run down to +\- 2.5V. 9V batteries are considered exhausted at 7V which means the chip only has to suffer with +\- 3.5V. At less than AU$8 each the OPA2134 has NO competition.

Mark:
I've seen the Cmoy build of yours with an amplification factor of 3,7 with 2,2k/8,2k resistors, it seems like an okay choise. You should try the TLE2426 as splitter, it's even better for voltage dividing ( regulation ), than Cmoy's differential network ...and also does TLE2426 not use much current for working, which the simple network with two resistors of 4,7k does. Try measuring DC offset with TLE2426 vs. the simple resistor network and tell me which one is best to reach close to zero DC.

Agree about price/quality/competition of the OPA2134

Felix wrote:
G'day all, an interesting thread. Although I am a fan of the OPA2134, I still have very considerable respect for the NE5532. If anything, it has a more 'neutral' sound than the (possibly slightly euphonic) OPA2134, but its performance is very reliable and dependable and of a very high standard, which possibly explains its long standing use in 'professional' audio gear.

In fact right now I'm listening to one of my DIY phono stages using a combination of NE5534's and NE5532's and it sounds excellent. Regards, Felix.

Felix:
I like both of them ...they have different sound characteristics. I find the NE5532 more soft and smooth, where OPA2134 add's something to the frequency range. It's nice to have both NE5532 and OPA2134 so it's possible to make a choice for what music they suits.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2015, 18:59 
Project Author

The big plus for the OPA2134 is the fact it will work down to +\- 2.5V. For single 9V battery devices this is ideal.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2015, 21:45 

Listened to them both.

Honestly, I like the 5532 for 100% analog (like phono front-ends, preceeded by jFET's) and the OPA2134 in the analog section of DAC's.

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2015, 03:48 

G'day all, just an academic comment re the NE5532, reading the various manufacturers comments it seems that the NE5532 was never really designed as a 'hi fi' chip, but more for professional audio and high performance line driver applications. Perhaps it is a 'fortunate accident' that it is also very eminently suitable for true 'hi fi' applications as well. Regards, Felix.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2015, 10:45 

Felix wrote:
G'day all, just an academic comment re the NE5532, reading the various manufacturers comments it seems that the NE5532 was never really designed as a 'hi fi' chip, but more for professional audio and high performance line driver applications. Perhaps it is a 'fortunate accident' that it is also very eminently suitable for true 'hi fi' applications as well. Regards, Felix.

Same for many tubes, too, eh? :smoking:

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2015, 15:33 

G'day mate, yes! Regards, Felix.