DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 28 May 2018, 02:54

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2015, 00:11 

Hi Folks,

I have a real stumper here. One that now with 35 years of repair experience has me scratching my head :confused:

The QR-6500 is a quad amp with four independent preamps and power amps, but a fully common supply. The stereo is made with two amp modules, front and rear (swappable).

Problem: Right rear channel distorted and unstable (noisy). Separating the PRE/MAIN made me conclude this was purely a power amplifier issue.

So I begin testing transistors, OK. Some swollen caps, so I recap all four channels. Problem persists.

Another interesting problem is the clipping symmetry control (VR801) does practically nothing on the bad channel, but the channel biases up perfect and holds 30mA bias rock-stable. The other channels have 10V on one leg and 35 or so on the other. The bad channel has 12 on one and 15 on the other. OK, transistor hfe is out of whack, but passes the diode tests.

I replace all the transistors.

Same thing. The Vcc on the bottom 2SC1111 (C793 in the schematic) isn't a nice steady 30V either, it fluctuates between 15 and 20V.

Hrmmmm, a resistor has become a varistor (seen this in Sansui and HH Scott). I replace all resistors and the two trimmer pots.

Problem persists. :censored:

Maybe the socket is bad? I swap madules with the front board and it works perfect.

So every part on the bard has been replaced. Solder joints taken care of in the process. Hairline cracks in the traces? I jumper all traces with wire.

Problem persists. :bawling:

I put the rear board in the front module slot... same problem, just on front now. So it is that half of the board! And it now has new everything :confused:

Just the voltages are off after the 1uF cap from the input stage (yep, thought I had a bum new Silmic-II, so I replaced the caps again, all of them, TWICE!). Thank heavans for a well stocked shop!

I'm at wits end here. Any advice?

Cheers!

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2015, 23:28 

Solved!

Several problems led up to one cause. The most unusual one was this circuit will not work with certain types of audio caps. Nichicon FW and FG, no! KW, yes! Elna Silmic, yes!

Work: Classic Valve Design