DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 Feb 2018, 16:28

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2015, 17:41 
Project Author

I have made a 100W and 500W Class D amp based on the Sure amp modules. These both used one type of chipset. The 500W sold and a friend is very interested in the 100W version which sounded excellent with his $30K Brodman speakers. But I wanted to have s listen to the IR chipset. And I wanted to build something left of centre. How about a 1500W pc amp.

Into 8ohms the amp should deliver about 550W pc RMS.

I don't need 1500W I barely used any of the 500W of the other amp though it was a more detailed and dynamic amp than the 100W currently in my system. The 100W has some more warmth than the 500W version.

I have completed the mains area for the 1500W amp and tomorrow pickup the two 500VA trannies. I'm using two 47,000uf caps (single Mundorf caps) plus a 35A rec. bridge. I have also ordered two other Class D modules. One has IR chips for 180W pc and the other Tripath chips for 250W pc. More to come.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2015, 18:47 

WOOOoooooooow that would be a good match with one/two of the Electro-Voice 36" woofers. Combine it with a 6'x4'x3' cabinet then revvv up the pop-corn machine and start the movies we goina have us some bass tonight.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2015, 20:20 
Project Author

This project is on hold. All the bits won't fit in a 3U 19" rack mount. Now the PS will go in a 3U and the amp module in a 2U. I had the enclosure drilled for an amp. Another Class D module arrived from Digikey. It is a IR 250W module. Different chipset to the Sure modules.

The IR module went into the enclosure with some Mundorf Mytec 47,000uf caps (2). The caps are well over $100 each. If you discharge them through a 100ohm resistor they throw a blue flame, not a spark!

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2015, 13:28 

I can't imagine anyone using an amp that big for a home stereo. One good bass thump and the neighbors would wake up 3 blocks down in someone else's bed. errrrrr ya ok i do get it. wink.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2015, 17:49 
Project Author

There is a few pro amp builders providing commercial amps around this power. Easy in Class D.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2015, 06:47 
Project Author

Just sold my T4 Class D so this amp is inching closer to existing.