DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 25 Feb 2021, 03:34

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2014, 03:20 
Project Author

I was given these prototype cct. brds. (populated) some years back but only recently have I started to listen to them. There was a K311 and now a K311B and I think there maybe a "C". I have the schematic but at this point will not publish it. The amp is by Oatley Electronics. It uses two 2SK170 jFets for amplification but a strange power FET push-pull config to drive the HPs. It burns a lot of current and the power FETs are mounted to on-board heat sinks. Strange.

Lets get stranger. The PS it comes with is a switch mode. The way I have assembled this HP amp is with the PS external so a linear PS could be used. BUT I can find nothing wrong with the SMPS.

And how does it sound. Apart from having too much gain (which can be corrected) the sound is big, bold and driving. I love it with my new Beyerdynamics DT770 closed back HPs.Love it!!
Attachment:
K311BAssembled.jpg
Attachment:
K311BAssembled_II.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2014, 08:39 
Project Author

Hi Mark, Strange indeed. However I use SMPS all the time and if you filter them correctly, or they come well filtered (some are) they work fine. The Phono/Tape preamp I cooked up a few months back uses them and is off scale on my measuring ability for S/N (over -100dbv). So SMPS can be a viable and efficient option for many projects.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2014, 09:36 
Project Author

What simple filtering can I put inside the device which may ensure a clean DC?

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2014, 05:53 
Project Author

It appears the SMPS is interfering with my Bluetooth connection. Buzz comes through. I need a linear PS.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2014, 22:18 
Project Author

Hi Mark even more odd. Bum SMPS. None I have here interfere. Probably direct radiation of EMI, filtering is not likely to help. In ones I find stuff in the output I use a simple filter with two 100uh coils and two 0.01uf polys. One coil in each leg and a cap across the dc in front of the coils and one behind. When there is crud it usually seems to be in the 50KHZ and up range.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2014, 04:36 
Project Author

gofar99 wrote:
Hi Mark even more odd. Bum SMPS. None I have here interfere. Probably direct radiation of EMI, filtering is not likely to help. In ones I find stuff in the output I use a simple filter with two 100uh coils and two 0.01uf polys. One coil in each leg and a cap across the dc in front of the coils and one behind. When there is crud it usually seems to be in the 50KHZ and up range.

Thanks.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2014, 19:35 
Project Author

I have just been talking with Oatley about the new K311? as a kit for sale. I have discovered there is a K311C. I'm leaving it up to Oatley to sort out which is best and best to provide as a kit. If it is as good as the K311B prototype I received and now reviewed I'll be happy. I'll keep you informed of development.

Oatley re-iterated that this HP amp has a pure Class A output in a very unique config, possible not done this way before.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2014, 00:45 
Project Author

The SMPS which came with the kit interfered with my bluetooth set-up. Here is a 22V 3A linear PS to now power the HP amp. Pausing the music there is no hum, buzz or anything. 3 X 4700uf 50V electros made sure of that.
Attachment:
Complete_II.jpg
Attachment:
Complete.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.