DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 18 Oct 2018, 18:31

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 30 May 2014, 19:08 

Hi everyone,

My first post here, also brand new to the art of DIY audio.

I was gifted an NAD receiver and plugged it in. The first thing I noticed was how bright the inside of the display was (looking inside of the receiver from the top), but thought nothing of it. Soon after it put itself in 'protection mode' and basically shorted out. It responds to being turned on but turns itself off within a couple of seconds. I took it apart and found the back of the display had melted thus why it was so bright inside of the machine.

This seems like a good project to finally get my hands dirty with some DIY and maybe to start to understand the intricacies of the art. Though I am completely new to everything relating to working with electronics so perhaps this is too large a step to begin from; especially where I likely have very few tools.

If I were to take on the task my goal would be to divert whatever energy was going to the display so it doesn't force the machine into protection mode. I do not want to replace the display as I want to keep the cost to minimum and I do not really need it.
That being said, I do not know if something else was damaged and if I knew how to, that's probably what I should check first.

I realize this sort of question has likely been asked many times on the forum but I thought at the least someone may be able to point me in the right direction of where an explanation for this sort of issue and solution already exist.

I'm wondering any information you guys would be able to divulge into helping me decide if I should take this on at all, and if so, what sort of process and tools would be necessary to solve the problem.

Thank you in advance

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2016, 15:15 

Welcome to the Wonderful World of NAD Audio.

You will need a schematic. Register with HiFi engine, likely they will have it.
You will need some basic diagnostic skills - eyes, nose and fingers for a start. Following the schematic next.
NAD was/is notorious for wretched build-quality and absolutely the lowest price-point components and parts possible.

Most NAD failures are due to bad caps. Look hard and see if you see any swollen, leaky, deformed or burnt caps anywhere in the system.
Other failures are due to cold-solders. Look VERY carefully at the boards, even with a bright light and optical quality magnifying glass, and see if you find any evidence of a broken trace (white fuzz, burn marks and such).

You did not mention any sound artifacts - does it sound OK right up until failure?

Good luck with it, and, as you seemed to imply, the alternative is land-fill, so that gives you much more freedom to take risks and experiment!