DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 26 Sep 2018, 04:49

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2013, 21:52 
Project Author

Being a little disappointed with sound from "Number 9", on classical music at home, I have added a single tube\stage preamp (4SU - with 12AU7 Gold Lion). Normally a 4SU requires a load of 250K but this one has been doctored with Pass BoZ on the back-end. So a tube preamp with a jFET buffer. This tube preamp will drive into 1K ohm without a problems. "Number 9" has a 50K input impedance.

Above I stated how good the amp sounded at Dave's and his CD player which has a built in tube buffer\preamp. I'm hoping to re-create that sound at home.

On some early listening, amps still cold, I feel the music is back. It has much better musical flow without the grain of the "Number 9" by itself. It now reminds me more of Arabella. How nice would that be to have the sound of a small tube power amp and the ability to deliver 80Ws with good bass control. Wife's out, big music afternoon with a cheap Irish Single Malt. Does life get any better???? Take me Lord.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2013, 22:13 
Project Author

Push-pull parallel KT120s in class A U/L will do that. Also increase your electric bill and heat your house in the winter. :D I however find that just a pair of the KT120s in class A U/L are plenty sufficient to make music so loud I can't stay in the room.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2013, 02:47 
Project Author

gofar99 wrote:
Push-pull parallel KT120s in class A U/L will do that. Also increase your electric bill and heat your house in the winter. :D I however find that just a pair of the KT120s in class A U/L are plenty sufficient to make music so loud I can't stay in the room.

I can imagine that. I must do something with my pair of Tung-Sol KT120s.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2013, 20:08 
Project Author

Number 9 resides under the 46" LED TV these days and powers a couple of Fostex FE206 base speakers. I have an Oppo 93 Audiophile player also as part of the set up. For the firs time I watched a DVD, Oblivion with Tom Cruise, last night. Great film and worth a watch.

Part of the TV setup is a 125W 12" subwoofer in a 80 ltr box. This connects direct to the LFE output on the Oppo. Of course there were plenty of thumps, booms and rumblings in this scifi movie. The experience was stunning. The Fostex project every fine nuance of the sound. The chip amp has 80W pc and through highly efficient Fostex the dynamics of was off the planet (pun intended). I just love my new two channel setup. Can't wait to hire another movie. My try and get Blue Ray this time.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2014, 17:51 
Project Author

If you purchase these kits you will not get a schematic. If you hassle the seller they will email you one. But the schematic will not be exactly the kit you have but close enough to be a help.

Meter all resistors before soldering into the PCB. A few values look similar. It's hard to get them out once soldered in. Well worth the effort.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2015, 11:53 

hello,
i'm also very intested by this project!
i've found schematics here:
https://code.google.com/p/sakura/downloads/list
his name: 7294/6N3 rar

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2015, 12:08 

Change 6n3 vith rusian 6n3p-ev.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2016, 06:02 

... or ECC85.

I also remember seeing an odd design using tubes and powerr chips. There's a topology called STC (Super Triode Connection) where a special kind of voltage feedback gives the output device the curves from a triode in the feedback link.
It was ages ago since I could find the track back to that site and I propably dropped it as I am not that much into power chips.
There's something written about this hybride here: http://www.tubecad.com/2015/06/blog0325.htm

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2016, 05:10 

mwhouston wrote:

I sold mine when I realised I would never have the time or energy to do something with them.
Being the kind of guy who ends up on eBay or AliExpress, even when not sipping wine, I have some stuff lying around, waiting to be used (abused). Not all is good, but often there are nice bits that can add some "glamour" to a project.

Some people claim that the 6N3, aka 6N3P aka ECC85 isn't the most linear tube, but it runs on low voltages and I have a few preamps (cathode followers) that I will use.

Nice build, anyhow.

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2016, 05:21 
Project Author

Soundbrigade wrote:
mwhouston wrote:

I sold mine when I realised I would never have the time or energy to do something with them.
Being the kind of guy who ends up on eBay or AliExpress, even when not sipping wine, I have some stuff lying around, waiting to be used (abused). Not all is good, but often there are nice bits that can add some "glamour" to a project.

Some people claim that the 6N3, aka 6N3P aka ECC85 isn't the most linear tube, but it runs on low voltages and I have a few preamps (cathode followers) that I will use.

Nice build, anyhow.

Thanks

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next