DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 16 Dec 2019, 04:49

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: 04 Nov 2014, 08:29 
Project Author

Hi, What Mark is showing will work, but I have one running very happily on just 2 nine volt batteries. The IC will run fine down to about + and - 5 volts. Not much headroom there though so +/- 9 is better.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2014, 09:11 

Great Bruce!
From the spec sheet I read a minimum Operating Voltage Range of +/-2.5V and now your "on the field" confirmation gives me peace of heart. I will use two 8.4V rechargeable batteries.

Since I've already ordered the Meanwell converter I will give the (WW + DC-DC) a try also.

Kind regards

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2014, 16:52 
Project Author

Dr.Turner wrote:
Will this work?
I'm using rechargeable 9V batteries that are actually 8.4Vr

Perfect.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2014, 03:20 

BTW, since I don't see any volume pot in the project, how are you setting the volume with this preamp?

Do you feed the output into an integrated amplifier via the AUX input.
Do you have a power amplifier with volume pot?

Please share your experience/setup.

Later,
Dr.Turner

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2014, 06:14 
Project Author

Dr.Turner wrote:
BTW, since I don't see any volume pot in the project, how are you setting the volume with this preamp?

Do you feed the output into an integrated amplifier via the AUX input.
Do you have a power amplifier with volume pot?

Please share your experience/setup.

Later,
Dr.Turner

Pots do not belong in phono preamps. Nor do they belong in pure power amps. True integrated amps with a proper pre-amp section, maybe.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2014, 07:01 

I had a feeling the question wasn't top rated smartwise :)
Anyway, what's your setup (when you eventually need to turn the volume down)?

I may connect our phono preamp to the Main Input in a Sansui AU-555 and AU-777A or Power Amp Direct of a Denon PMA-1500AE.

But for a true integrated amplifier (without pre-main separation, like the Sansui AU-222 or the AU-101) which is my best bet?
And if I would like to listen to my couple of Rotel RB-980BX brifged mono power amplifiers, what's your suggestion to set the volume?

Later,
Dr.Turner

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2014, 07:09 

Last question and I will be quiet for a while...

I run out of 0,1uF axial poly cap but I have plenty of Panasonic X2 radial poly cap.

May I use two of them to replace the following:
  1. the one between the AC-DC wall wart and the Meanwell DC-DC converter
  2. the one on the +12V after the Meanwell

Later,
Dr.Turner

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2014, 08:56 
Project Author

Hi, In those locations they are used to bypass electrolytics and polys will do fine. Often better. In my projects where I specify a particular type of capacitor, like the X2 ones connected to the AC mains other types should not be used. Same for coupling capacitors if a "poly" is shown then that is the best type for the application. In other locations it is pretty much users choice. I prefer and generally only use polys when I build things, the exception is for values over 5uf then electrolytics are pretty much mandatory and as I mentioned the X2 ones.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2014, 09:32 

Thanks Bruce,
I've noticed that, in your August 8th 2014 update, you replaced the 470uF (on the +12V) with a 100uF.
I'm curious about the reason.

Later,
Dr.Turner

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2014, 14:26 
Project Author

Hi, I don't see that particular version (I'll look in my other files). The value for that capacitor can range widely. I used 470s and 1000s. So if I bunged up and listed one at 100.....it really should have been 1000uf. I prefer to over filter rather than under filter. The converters ....particularly the second one really clean up the DC and since the current is small and essentially constant filtering is easy. Sorry for the confusion

EDIT: I found the error and indeed in one version of the schematic a 100 did show up in the place of the 470. OOPS. It should be 470uf.
EDIT: A revised schematic is attached.
Good catch

Good listening
Bruce
Attachment:
LOMC IC Phono NAB Preamp November 17 2014.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 20  Next