DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 18 Jun 2018, 00:37

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2012, 16:54 
Project Author

I suppose we must remind ourselves that these amps have a hefty amount of global feedback. My tubes amps don't. I may use a little local feedback as in an un-bipassed cathode resistor on the driver tube or the UL tap from an SE OPT. And as I have said before these chip operate in Class A\B mode where SE amp generally are in Class A only mode.

I have made a number of two stage tube preamps over the years and notice how "subdued" they sound compared to my single tube preamps. Still excellent sounding but not the presents of the the tube preamps without the GNFB.

Another noticeable point with the music is it appears to lack dynamics. Plenty of power just not the feel of drama particularly when compared to Luciano my 807 amp. The chip amps probably do have good dynamics but my tube amps seem to release a more dramatic pesenation. Not so much my 300BSE - Silver Dragon but definitely Luciano.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2012, 10:18 
Editor

Nice big build Mark. Where did you find that slab of copper? Very nice. I would also place some shielding between the torroid and the the audio channel.

Cheers

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2012, 16:58 
Project Author

I bought four slabs the same size years ago for another chip amp which never got built but similar idea of resonance and heat control. I wanted to do this compact build and any other heat sink would not really work. I would like to build another exactly the same but on an Al slab to hear the difference (if any). I have golden ears coming around today for an audition. I'll post their thoughts.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2012, 06:17 
Project Author

I said I would report on what the Golden Ears had to say about the amp.

I'll quote what was said and you interpret as you think:(said to me) "Why do you build tube amps"? I'll take it as a compliment.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2012, 06:47 
Project Author

I was listening with a another keen DIYer today to the SynergyII\CU amp. He felt it a bit bright and brittle and blamed my Silver Highway silver inter-connects for this bright top-end http://www.diyaudioprojects.com/Power/diySilver/. I use very short wire wrap wire inter-connects from Oppo BDP-95 to BoZSE preamp then Silver Highways to power amp. I swapped the Silver Highways for a pair of Transparent 200s.

Though these commercial cables are\were only $150 a pair they always sound good. Instantly the sound mellowed and the brightness gave way to a warmer sounding and fuller mid-range and the brittleness left us completely. Every track we played from that point felt just fuller and warmer and made the amp sounded more relaxed instead of tense and bright.

I have a number of rolls of cotton coated solid strand hook-up wire which I used for the Fender Champ guitar amp I made. I will make some inter-connects from this wire. I will heavily twist two strands then place a heat shrink tube of the twist. I have some heavy duty earth first RCA plugs to go with it. Let's see if these home made cables will be as good as the Transparent 200s.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2012, 07:28 
Project Author

If I wanted to reduce the gain on this Gainclone what would be the best way to do it?

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2012, 07:34 
Project Author

Here's one I haven't seen before: http://electronics-diy.com/electronic_schematic.php?id=530. Yet another rip-off.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2012, 01:38 
Project Author

I'm having some Golden Ear over this evening for an Opera night (Rameau) let you know his impression (or depression if he is not a happy listener). Of course the 4SUTea will be on show too. I'm nervous. Feel a little more confident with the 12AU7 in the Tea box.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2012, 23:29 
Editor

mwhouston wrote:
If I wanted to reduce the gain on this Gainclone what would be the best way to do it?

Hi Mark,
You control the gain by adjusting Rf and R3.
Gain = (Rf / R3) + 1.
So in the case of your Synergy Amp: http://diyaudioprojects.com/Chip/Synerg ... Gainclone/

Gain = ( 22000 / 680 ) + 1 = 33 dB

Just increase R3 to lower the gain. 1k for R3 will drop the gain down to 23 dB. You need to keep the gain above 10dB for stability.

Cheers

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2012, 00:30 
Project Author

@Gio: Thanks for the advice. It is actually easier for me to lower Rf. Is this a valid gain reducer?? What about dropping it to 15K for a gain of 23db. Is there a consequence I have not foreseen?