DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 06:11

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: MCA - Son of ZCA
PostPosted: 18 Sep 2016, 08:18 
Project Author

I think it is the second on this site anyhow.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2016, 08:52 

Wow, thats making me proud :)
Firstly I have made a try on a piece of wood but got too much hum from the input.
After installing everything in a proper enclosure there is absolutely no hum (and i have very sensitive speakers).
The temperature is higher than with the ZCA: the enclosure gets approx. 50° Celsius.
The sound is much more direct, some sort of punchy. The best match to the Fostex i can imagine.
I have not heard a lot of that directly sounding systems even on HighEnd exhibitions.

I enjoy a lot!
Best regards
Stefan

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2016, 09:07 
Project Author

Do yo have any way of determining the max power output prior to any distortion. Usually you would use CRO and look for the 1K sine wave to start to alter shape while driving an 8ohm resistor.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2016, 09:09 
Project Author

Yours is definitely the most pro looking. Do you have an image of the enclosure, lid on, front and back.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2016, 09:36 

It is like i mostly do with speakers, at the moment it is "on line" i don't want to disattach anymore because i enjoy listening so much :)
So to measure the output power is a duty to do somewhen....
As well as the photo's with the lid on.
So please have mercy and give me a time to do that, will certainly take a week or so.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2016, 10:05 

OK, a picture from the front is not too difficult
MCA is bottom left... ;)

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2016, 15:38 

Hello max130

Very very good job ,it looks nice and pro.

I show you my beta version , 8-) . I agree it sound better than ZCA in general but anyway the ZCA also I like much.

My MCA its less powerful than yours , mine have 16v of power supply , and the bulbs are feed with 10v approx. 700ma.

Regards

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2016, 15:41 

more pics

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2016, 15:57 

Hi Makjoe
Thank you very much for your compliment (also to Mark).
Apart from the fan (which i don't like so much) your unit looks very good also to me.
I like the lamps with their protective brackets.
Any photos of the inside by chance?

...and yes, the ZCA is very good as well.... But after having heard the MCA I have stored it away...

Best regards
Stefan

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2016, 17:46 
Project Author

Makjo, that's different and your MCA must be, as with Stefan's, is one of three that I am aware of. This design came about by others building ZCAs and liking them and asking if I had any other ideas. From that came the MCA mainly because I wanted to make an amp with a bipolar transistor and not a FET. But for years no one ever built one and mine was only a "proof of concept". But now there are at least thee in the wild which I'm aware of.

The best part is you all seem to enjoy the sound and that is what it is all about. I'm yet to build one for myself but the day is coming. Also I'm thinking of an integrated version. So you might say a "MCIA" (you could pronounce it a "Mc-ear-a" - lol). What I'm thinking is a BoZ preamp section, then pot then a MCA power section. It maybe the one I build to prove that the idea works.

Thanks guys for going to the effort of putting a scetchy idea and a poor prototype to the test. Best part is all you get to enjoy the result. Thanks again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 28  Next