DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Bruce Heran outlines the details and construction of his simple DIY 6DJ8 (ECC88) Tube Hi-Fi Headphone Amplifier Project.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 30 Oct 2014, 11:39

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2012, 06:00 

hi guys!

it's not so much time i am in this world, but i already had experience making my own guitar stomp effects.

now i want to reach next level.

i have a vinyl turner that needs a tube amp. id like to make a 20W amp..or around it.

any suggestion about?? better if i could follow some detailed guide..with schematics, layout, etc..

i know you can help me! :)

thank you!
delga

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2012, 10:55 

As usual - no pics no schematics but if you aim for a 20-Watter I'd say either a 6L6-PP (there are some designs in here) or something with either 6AQ5 or 6BQ5 with paralelled OP tubes would be fine.
The task is not a difficult one there are loads of - tubes and designs.

I could, if I dig a bit find something for you.

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2012, 12:17 

Thank you for the anwer!
I don't know...i repeat, it will be my first project..so i just know how many watts i need and wich job this amp has to do..
Anyway..im following your words and i started to search here projects about..but if you will find something for it would be perfect....

Delga

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2012, 12:56 

I zipped my folder with various 6L6-projects and uploaded to my place. It's about 10MB:
http://www.pastisch.se/faktiskt/6L6.zip
Maybe you'll finmd something there. Else there's an OddWatt 6L6 described in here.

―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2012, 16:09 

oh my!! what a material!!! im gonna have a no-sleeping night! i will give a look to those projects...for shure i will write again here..i know i will need tutorial! thank you for your time magnus!!

delga

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2012, 16:24 

did you do any of these projects personally? maybe i can get some feedback if you had experience with one of these.

delga

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2012, 17:54 

hi!
i post this link. it's a project about 2 tubes 6L6GC (17 watts output). it is a really well done guide, heaven for beginners like me.

http://www.lh-electric.net/projects/17gita.html

i really think im gonna try to do it.

delga

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2012, 21:30 

Whatever you choose...

Don´t save-up on the audio output transformer! ;)

Welcome to the forum and have fun!

Cheers!

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2012, 06:14 

I will not! :) thank you for suggestion!
Wich brand you think it's better about 6L6GC? The ones made in china are really so bad as i read?

delga

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2012, 07:20 

I use Russian NOS. There's a type called 6P3S and a version called 6P3S-E (see below). The -E is said to have a little nicer sonic signature and it looks cooler without the plastic base. Whatch out for the (Russian) markings! You may end up with double power tetrode if mixing Latin and Russian letters.
I have a pair of Chinese 6L6/6P3, but haven't tried them out yet.

As an alternative, you could as well look at 6CA7/EL34 which is a VERY common tube with loads of designes out on the web. Both 6L6 and EL34 can give you much more that youre desired 20W, but you can drive them more conservatively (more A than AB) or use the full power and be happy with 30-40W ...

BTW, you don't indicate where you live, but if you live in the States, go visit Carslbad Caverns and pick up a pair of fine trannies from EdcorUSA while you're still in that area.

From left to right: 6P3, 6P3S, 6P3S-E.

―Lewis Carroll