DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 18 Aug 2019, 00:54

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 25 Jan 2009, 19:22 
Editor

megamahi wrote:
@gmilitano: Yup, not much at all. I'm not familiar with Polk as I'd like to be. I know Boston and Focal well, I have a set of Polk reference monitors, but they don't get used much as I'm not back home, and they are connected to a working system. When they show up I'll have to take off the binding post block and look to see if there is a XO in there somewhere.

I would not work about biamping unless you have plans to use a digital crossover unit instead of a passive XO, but it should help a bit.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2009, 19:25 
Project Author

Gio, I dont know much about multi amping. Can you explain why?
Ri

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2009, 20:17 
Editor

When you go from a source, say a CDP into a digital XO, your output will be broken into lows and highs (assuming 2-way) which each need to go into a amplifier and then to the LF and HF drivers.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2009, 21:15 

@gmilitano: Your talking about something like ESP's Project 9 correct? http://sound.westhost.com/project09.htm

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2009, 21:21 
Project Author

So, why no passive crossover? What happens that makes it more difficult, or is that just it, its more difficult?
Ri

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2009, 09:55 
Editor

Yes, an active unit like that shown as ESP. The high and low will need it's own output. You could also do the same with a passive XO.

Here is a good article on biamping: http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2009, 16:55 

This is good,

I've just read that biamping link, and interesting stuff. like i said i would mind trying an HT after this build, using the same chipamps for the channels.

Again like Ri asked why no passive XO?

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2009, 19:22 
Editor

the.sabs wrote:
Again like Ri asked why no passive XO?

Personally, I don't think it is worth the cost for the minor gain.

From the ESP page as well:
Quote:
Passive biamping (where two amplifiers are used in a bi-wiring connection) is, IMHO, a waste of money. Although there may be some moderate sonic benefits, they are not worth the expense of the extra amplifier.

PostPosted: 05 May 2009, 17:37 

Hey Gio,

Just been looking at my possible heatsink problem with this build. The details for the sink give a dissapation of 8.6°C/W. from what i can make out on the LM3886 datasheet, i'm within the limits.
Did i read the correct graph?

PostPosted: 05 May 2009, 19:32 
Editor

Hi Sabs, what will the supply voltage be and what speaker load will you be driving?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next