DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 18 Oct 2018, 16:35

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hiraga MC pre-preamp
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2012, 16:27 
Project Author

mwhouston wrote:
Do you think the MC cartridge will see 100ohms?
It should be small (i.e. <1kΩ) but without a detailed circuit analysis I couldn't say for sure. You might want to measure it seeing as how it's already in build. That always yields the definitive answer.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2012, 16:51 
Project Author

Suncalc wrote:
mwhouston wrote:
Do you think the MC cartridge will see 100ohms?
It should be small (i.e. <1kΩ) but without a detailed circuit analysis I couldn't say for sure. You might want to measure it seeing as how it's already in build. That always yields the definitive answer.

How would you suggest I measure it?

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2012, 19:28 
Project Author

mwhouston wrote:
How would you suggest I measure it?
Simple. Grab a signal generator and a dual trace oscilloscope. Wire up the following setup.
Attachment:
setup.jpg
V1 and V2 should be measured with the dual trace oscilloscope. Follow these steps.

1. Set the signal generator for 1kHz and zero voltage output.
    2. Slowly adjust the signal generator output voltage until V2 has a peak voltage of 0.1v
    3. Record V1 and V2 peak voltages and phase differences.
    4. Repeat for a couple of different input voltages.

The magnitude of the input impedance is equal to the ratio of the V2/I which is equal to 100*(V2-peak/V1-peak). The phase of the input impedance is equal to the phase difference between V1 and V2. You do it at a few different signal magnitudes to make sure you've got a good view over the input range of operation. If the preamp input is biased off of 0 volts you may need to capacitively couple the signal generator with an appropriately large capacitor.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2012, 00:12 
Project Author

Cct. brd. is complete. Now to install chips, zero the input voltage and place it in the case.[attachment=0]MCI.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2012, 05:01 
Project Author

Finally the Hiraga MC preamp is complete and in the bag (case). Ok this time a project didn't go first time but after a couple of re-inspections I worked out the right channel had a ground on the output of the output cap. The left channel worked straight-up but dead in the right. All voltages across the left and right chips were the same so I knew it was something simple.

Now it works but it may be a day or two before I get a big listen and compare this MC preamp to the Le Pacific(s) I have been building lately. I wondered if the input offered a 100ohms resistance to the cartridge. On first listen I would say the load to the cartridge sounds about right but Matt's simple test should prove that.
Attachment:
MCII.jpg

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2012, 09:38 

Hi
It looks great, hope it play well, hove long du you estimate the battery life time,on this baby?
nkdk

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2012, 15:55 
Project Author

nkdk wrote:
It looks great, hope it play well, hove long du you estimate the battery life time,on this baby?

I should have taken a few voltage reading across resistors so I can calc. battery life. I will do that and post the results. The AAA are rated 1000mAh with a drain of about 10mA. The Le Pacific MC preamp draws 15mA and I would expect better than 50 hours of use. If battery changes are too frequent I can move up to Lithium batteries.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2012, 17:51 
Project Author

I took some voltage reading around the cct. to try to calc. total current draw. If my figures are correct this MC preamp (at idle) draws an incredibly small amount of current. Look back to the schematic to see the resistors I measured voltage across and see if you agree with my result. As I have said the current drain is very low.

Across the 4.7K resistor -> 4.2V
Across the 2.2K resistor -> 2.2V

For me this totals for both channels 3.7mA which would give over 200 hours of use on a single set of cheap batteries. Just for interest I measured the voltage across the 6.2K resistor which will have a small amount of bias current added to it. Voltage across the 6.2k is 6.1V.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2012, 00:07 
Project Author

Here is the Hiraga bipolar MC stage in the long Hammond enclosure. Not much to see: for gold plated RCAs on the back and an on/off switch and blue led on the front. The bottom of the enclosure is lined with bitumanised Al foil to add weight and case dampening. Hanging-out for a big listen tonight with my new DJ-3565 TT and AT MC cart.
Attachment:
MCFinishedI.jpg
Attachment:
MCFinishedII.jpg

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2012, 18:45 
Project Author

Spent the night listening to the new MC preamp. The sound stage was incredibly deep and detailed but not all the wide on two LPs. The speakers "sounded" like they had nothing coming out of them. they just vanished. On the next two LPs the speakers can back and sound stage was just as deep and details. All LPs are very second-hand so it may just be differences in the vinyl quality. But what I heard I liked a lot. This MC preamp, I believe, way outperforms the Le Pacific for sound stage depth and detail and has extended dynamics. Though harder to construct and more expensive it is well worth the effort.