DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 22 Sep 2019, 16:41

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First Watt Boards @ DIY
PostPosted: 23 Dec 2008, 19:17 
Project Author

Anybody buying any of these boards on the group buys over at DIY?

I'm going to get the 1,3,4 boards and see if I can coble something together. Would be nice if someone here with some skills would play along.

Jordan JX92S DIY Tower Speakers

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2008, 23:06 
Editor

Hi Gary, I saw the offer but I decided to pass on it as I have a bunch of projects already lined up. For the F4 or F5, the Tech-DIY "clone kits" which are matched seem like a good value.
Cheers

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2008, 14:51 
Project Author

I just purchased a B1 board from Nelson. Gio if you want one I can get you one but I think you had mentioned you wanted to pass right now.
The problem with the group buy over there is that someone is CLEANING up on profits from the group buy. Those boards have no right being 15 dollars each. Not even half that cost is real. Not even close to half. So, the F5 is easy to P2P or etch yourself and that what I would do rather than help out whoever is running it.
Ri

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2008, 15:50 
Editor

Hi Ri, thanks for the offer but I have too many projects on the go right now.

Were you still planning to build one of these amps?
Cheers

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2008, 16:11 
Project Author

I have the F5 built but have not hooked it up to a power supply or heatsink yet.
I am kind of excited to but on the other hand its got me worried it will sound better than anything else I could build. I like building so I dont want a reason to NOT build more. But I spose better speakers are something to chase after as well. Just way more expensive.
Ri

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2008, 20:00 

RiGuy, How'd you get ahold of a Pass B-1 board?

I've been watching the site, and they still show anyminutenow....Though I didn't refresh it....

John

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2008, 09:40 
Project Author

I had missed the first offering and sent Colin an email begging to be on a list for the second offering which came and went as fast as the first but I had my boards on "HOLD" because of my request. Then I decided to build my own boards which still look like they should have worked after a tweak I made, but dont. Anyway, I had decided to etch my own and Colin said it was no big deal if I wanted to pass on the Pass boards because so many others might want them. Then I just figured that they were gone after I had etched my own. A few days ago Colin emailed me asking if I still wanted them. He must have forgotten that I had passed on them. So, since my etched boards hadnt worked and I have been working on so much other stuff that redesigning the etching would be to time consuming I decided to take the board and the transistors. Quad matched 2SK370. I can throw that board together in about 20 minutes or less I think. Well worth it.
I bet if you email Colin and mention my extra board that it is still around.
Ri

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2008, 09:41 
Project Author

There is a group buy going on that I suggest getting into. Prices are appropriate and the product is supposed to be great.
NS10 and Toole regulator boards. Regulator boards are $4.20 each and NS10 price is not announced yet.
Ri

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2008, 10:01 
Project Author

Yeah the price seemed a little steep to me, but for a complete newbie like me it is the only way I have a chance of building something like these amps. I do believe that a very nice bottle of wine or something was purchase for Mr Pass from the extra proceeds though.

I'm on the waiting list at Pass for the B-1 also, can't wait for that either.

Jordan JX92S DIY Tower Speakers

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2008, 12:23 
Editor

Hi Ri,
Where are you planning to use these?