DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 Feb 2018, 04:37

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2015, 16:18 

Quote:
Do you have the FETs in the right way?

Was thinking of that... So I turned them round. But same thing. Is it likely I damaged the FETs by having them in the wrong way?

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2015, 21:54 

Some depletion FET's don't care if the S and D are reversed (MPF102, 2N3819,21 and ilk)

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2015, 04:21 
Project Author

Geek wrote:
Some depletion FET's don't care if the S and D are reversed (MPF102, 2N3819,21 and ilk)

Would therapy help?

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2015, 05:24 

*snicker*

Both the FET and I are beyond redemption :P

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2015, 05:45 
Project Author

You will hate me for saying this but guessing your pos and neg rails they looked like they were in the right way.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2015, 16:23 

The other thing I was thinking of was the capacitors I used instead of the 99.3 stated in the diagram. I used actually 4 different capacitors in parallel to make up the value. Would that have an influence on the sound?
I've attached a diagram for reference.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2015, 20:26 
Project Author

Fewer caps the better but in this case exact values are critical.

As a suggestion put 50ohm resistors in the source leg.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2016, 05:34 

andreidaniel wrote:
A similar, mostly the same design on that kind of PCB like yours I made. Also, I get a small hum, I don't know why. If I try to power the entire bloc from a DC source the hum is higher, so I power it from 3 x 9V battery but they don't last so much. I also placed a 220uF/50V capacitor between + and - for reducing a little the hum.

The boozhound website recommands a unique power supply for eliminating the hum. http://boozhoundlabs.com/collections/all/products/power-supply-kit

Hello guys!
I bought yesterday this metal case for the preamplifier. Should be good a shielded metal case.

Also, I thought at some things when constructing it:
1st: I recovered a transformer from a stereo system which included radio, 2xtapes + cd and also had a phono input!! The transformer doesn't make any noise and I think that also the fact the it is shielded itself with another perpendicular cover and with the copper tape on the coils would not perturb the good functioning of the preamplifier.

2nd: As it seems in the original power supply the author usess schottky diodes, and between those two caps of 4700uF there is a 1 ohm resistor. I am thinking that a good result could be in replacing that resistor with a small coil on the ferrite ring linke those from the PCs or notebooks power supply because the resistor has a low value and also could take the noise after. My question here is if I can replace that LD1085 with a LM317? Or LM150, 350? On the internet I saw different designs which used either LM317 or even zenner+transistors for the regulated power supply.

3rd: I'll redesing the entire board on a PCB. This is only "educational" but works fine. Something like this should appear finally:

For the rear pannel I was thinking to put 2 x RCA + 1 x 5 pin DIN for the older devices, and for the front pannel the same as rear.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2016, 09:57 

This thread has so much win...

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2016, 20:33 

Another similar design of passive RIAA correction.

Source: http://6p3s.com/forum/viewthread.php?forum_id=9&thread_id=32&rowstart=0

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next