DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Bruce Heran outlines the details and construction of his simple DIY 6DJ8 (ECC88) Tube Hi-Fi Headphone Amplifier Project.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 20:03

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: 28 Nov 2011, 15:35 

Did anybody also experienced the audio "bump" when you disconnect the pre-amplifier.

Is it due to the 1uF output capacitor?

My SS amplifier doesn´t like it, and enters in safe-mode / protection. What can I do? Maybe an output relay?

Cheers,
Miguel

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2011, 12:01 

Anybody?

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2012, 01:54 

Bought a Boozhound phono preamp kit today. http://boozhoundlabs.blogspot.com/p/jfet-phono-preamp-kit.html. I will post my build build up when I get it together. This will be my first Audio DIY project. I also have a tube amp kit on order. Supper excited to get my system together and experience music the way it is supposed to heard.

Thanks for all write ups and comments on this project. It help me make my decision.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2012, 07:22 

What modification is requiered to run a moving coil pick-up into this wonderful pre-amplifier?

Cheers,

Miguel

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2012, 17:40 
Project Author

You could use a step-up transformer but I would go for the Le Pacific MC PrePre. This will connect straight into your jFET phono preamp. Its dead simple to make and even run it from batteries as I have.

I have made three Le Pacifics and one Hiraga Bipolar MC stage. I prefer the Hiraga though friends with good ears claim they are close in performance, for the extra work and cost for the Hiraga it may not be worth it.

http://www.diyaudioprojects.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3633

http://www.diyaudioprojects.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3046

PostPosted: 06 May 2012, 06:16 

BierBurner wrote:
Bought a Boozhound phono preamp kit today.

Any progress on this?

I got the last kit in the current batch. Will throw in some pics when its here.

PostPosted: 06 May 2012, 12:34 

BierBurner wrote:
Bought a Boozhound phono preamp kit today.

mteinum wrote:
Any progress on this?
I got the last kit in the current batch. Will throw in some pics when its here.

Yeah. Finished the kit a while back. Test run went well. Now putting the finishing touches on the chassis and then I will be ready for some project pics to post up

PostPosted: 06 May 2012, 14:13 

I´m sure you´ll love it!

It´s quiet, very low noise.

I found it a bit "bright", but it seems OK now...

Maybe I got used to it?

Let us know your review.

Cheers!

PostPosted: 06 May 2012, 19:18 

Yes it is a bit bright. But so much cleaner of a sound than my temporary phono prepamp I was using. The difference is almost night and day. Even the bass notes where brought out.

So my build went a little like this:
-First I did the research on the forums and DIY site. The bang for your buck and simplicity you can't beat. Great customer service and excellent directions. I was sold almost purely on the price of the kit itself. For those of you who are familiar with the HiFi phono preamps you will understand.
-Second was the base build. This is strait forward and you just need to follow the inclosed directions.
-Third and here is where your decisions and creative thinking come in. Since the kit is not sold with a chassis, your configurations are limitless. Finding the right chassis to fit your needs should be an important step in the process of any DIY build. A few things I kept in mind went I decided what chassis to use.
-What will be your power source
-What finish do you plan on putting on it(To many to list)
-What equipment I already had
-Keeping it simple and price low

I went with a Hammond Chassis http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=320-820 This provided me the room to place my two 8 pack battery enclosures, my RCA in and out, power switch, and LED

The rest of the items for this build I picked up from my local electronics store and parts express.

I am a Navy mechanic by trade so the chassis build was my favorite. Remember prep is key when doing any machine work and painting. Always measure twice and use the best quality paint. I chose wrinkle black. The pictures really don't do it justice. I figured this finish would match any audio equipment I have or obtain in the future. I used metal bondo to fill in the chassis seams.

So it all comes together and you are ready to flip the switch. I always test builds momentary not hooked to any equipment. A quick go no go test. This was done three times for me. I built the base circuit board and tested. Then drafted the chassis up and place components in. Tested again, and then pulled components out for chassis finishing. Final test after finial assembly. Because this build was so simple it was easy to disassemble and build again in the chassis.

Here are some of the pictures from my build.
Finished chassis

Placing components in and final solder up
All in
My set up. TT on second rack. Stayed with green LED to match PODDWATT

PostPosted: 07 May 2012, 12:10 
Editor

Hi Uriah, you have put together a nice system. Congrats everything looks great. I hope you are really enjoying the system.

Cheers

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 22  Next