DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 13:10

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2014, 12:50 

Just want to say that if RIAA 20 Hz ideal response is needed then replace 28K resistor to 56K. From 30-100 Hz is difference then 0.4db and in 20 000 to 75 000 Hz is -0.2 db. Original chematics were used.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2015, 12:31 

Hi Guys,
I know that this is a really old thread but i have recently completed the Boozehoundlabs phono preamp, and it is fantastic.
The only problem is that it is REALLY quiet!
When i say quiet i mean that i have to turn the amp nearly all the way up to `11` to get even a reasonable volume.
And even i know that this is not a good idea.
I read the modification kindly posted by `Ht performance` which suggested placing a 470uF electrolytic audio grade capacitor to R3.
So i go online and see that capacitors come in different voltages, now i know that this is a stupid question but what voltage capacitor would be required?
I know nothing about electronics so go easy on me.
If anyone can suggest a suitable component, or even provide a UK link to a ideal quality one on the `Bay` I would be very grateful.
Thank you so much.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2015, 17:51 
Project Author

The phono preamp have good gain and a high output. It sounds like there is something wrong with your build. The cap may not fix the output issues. Recheck components. You may have a fet in the wrong way.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2015, 00:52 

mwhouston wrote:
The phono preamp have good gain and a high output. It sounds like there is something wrong with your build. The cap may not fix the output issues. Recheck components. You may have a fet in the wrong way.

Many thanks mwhouston, I will look into that.
But does anyone know the answer to my question about capacitor voltages, as i would like to try the modification anyway.
Thank you.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2015, 01:07 
Project Author

where is R3, what resistor is it?

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2015, 11:58 

Have not looked yet.
Just asking about the modification suggested by `Ht performance` a few pages back.
Cannot find my printed circuit diagram at the moment, so I will have to look on the `Boozehound` site.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2015, 08:33 

mwhouston wrote:

Just checked and all FETS are in correctly.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2015, 09:25 

malinky wrote:
Have not looked yet.
Just asking about the modification suggested by `Ht performance` a few pages back.
Cannot find my printed circuit diagram at the moment, so I will have to look on the `Boozehound` site.

Hi!

I also felt the need for a little more gain, to feed the oddwatt tube amplifier, because I am running the 6SL7 tube instead of the higher gain 12AX7.

By that time, I made several calculations and also performance tests measurements and the RIAA response is perfect.

You can use electrolytic capacitors starting from 25v.

I am very sure, that if your project is currently well wired like the schematic, you will be extremely happy with this simple modification.

Let us know your listening impressions! :)

Cheers,

Miguel

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2015, 09:57 

HT Performance wrote:
malinky wrote:
Have not looked yet.

Hi!

I also felt the need for a little more gain, to feed the oddwatt tube amplifier, because I am running the 6SL7 tube instead of the higher gain 12AX7.

By that time, I made several calculations and also performance tests measurements and the RIAA response is perfect.

You can use electrolytic capacitors starting from 25v.

I am very sure, that if your project is currently well wired like the schematic, you will be extremely happy with this simple modification.

Let us know your listening impressions! :)

Cheers,

Miguel

Many thanks for your reply (help from Portugal and Australia, what a wonderful thing).
I will do the modification you have suggested, and I apologize for my lack of knowledge.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2015, 19:25 
Project Author

Now I see where the cap is to go. Yes should improve gain.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next