DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 30 Mar 2020, 12:33

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: 20 May 2013, 02:11 

How about that one?
I have all components to assemble it tomorrow.
Any comments or suggestions?

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 20 May 2013, 07:12 

That should be a decent starting point and is pretty close to what I use. You'll get 15V while it will improve with 18-24V, so if you can use a larger isolation transformer and a L7818 or L7824 regulator, you'll probably like the results even better. Consider using the LM317 regulator (you'd need to work out the resistors to set the output voltage, but from what I've read it's much quieter (I don't have side by side comparisons to know this from experience though).

Also, as a starting point for a LM317, try a 3300R on the adjust pin and 180R between the Adj and Output pins for about 24V out. Use a calculator like: http://www.reuk.co.uk/LM317-Voltage-Calculator.htm if you need help figuring it out. Rough formula is Vout = 1.25 (1 + R2/R1) where R2 is the Adjust resistor (to ground) and R1 is the resistor between output and adjust. Or...you could use a pot for R2 and adjust to your preference.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2013, 00:04 

Hello everybody,

Finished my BHL a few days ago. Works fine, and here a few pictures

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2013, 09:47 

It looks good and tidy! :)

What cartridge are you using?

What are your overall listening impressions? :)

Cheers!

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2013, 09:50 
Project Author

MONOTRIODE wrote:
Hello everybody,

Finished my BHL a few days ago. Works fine, and here a few pictures

I run mine on batteries but use AA cells. I like the sound.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2013, 01:24 

Hello Matt and HTPerformance,

power supply is made of three 9V batteries. Dead quiet and silent. But I'm in the process of building a regulated PSU based on Francis Ibre schematics, using a TL431 and TIP142. Sorry, I can't post the schematics since it's copyrighted. This PSU will give between 24 and 30v, depending on the PTrx and the resistors used. I'm waiting for the PCB to be done.

My system is: Elipson3230, T amp based on the audiodigit tube/T100 module, and a deeply tweaked Philips 723CD, or à AH! NjoeTjoeb.

For the first listening of the BHL, I used a REVOLVER record player, with a Linn Basik, and a Shure V15/5. Cheapo short cables. And didn't tune the tonearm very fine.

My listening impressions with this setup: Easy, comfortable, detailed. À little too much bass to my taste, but I think it must me related to the amp. And a little lack of gain. Soundstage... How could you expect to have Pink Floyd in your living room? OK, soundstage is good, wide, but not very deep.

Now comes time for patience: I have to finish a turntable project, and I think that the BHL will sound right with this heavy TT. I'll post some picture of the TT in a few hours.

But, summarizing the BHL: very good little project when compared with 5or6 times much costly phono preamps.

The only other good pre I heard that beat the BHL is the PC10... not the same price, not the same story...

Enjoy!

Éric.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2013, 10:54 

In answer to cheap-jacks comment on a j fet being nothing similar to a triode tube/valve and comparing it to a bipolar BJT . The two are not the same one current operated and two the j fet voltage operated. As far as the "kink" like a pentode I refer him to = www.parametric distortion compensation in fets or how to build a solid state triode --[using a cascode circuit}--. Maybe this will give help to those put off because of what was said about j fets I have used them extensively as have others in EW mag for many decades without this "problem"

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2013, 14:20 

I am aware this is a old post but I have recently completed building the boozehound labs phono preamp and would like to try a mod suggested by a dap member ht performance.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2933&start=110

I am unsure weather I should replace R3 with a 470uf capacitor or should the capacitor and resistor be in series

any help would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2013, 12:23 

oltern8 wrote:
I am aware this is a old post but I have recently completed building the boozehound labs phono preamp and would like to try a mod suggested by a dap member ht performance.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2933&start=110
I am unsure weather I should replace R3 with a 470uf capacitor or should the capacitor and resistor be in series

Hi!

Thank you for reading my modification. :)

I believe that you´ll find the BHL much more fun to listen to.

The R3 resistor should not be changed, just place the 470uF capacitor in parallel next to the resistor.

Also don´t forget to change R12, I recomend 100ohm.

Have fun through the weekend! :D

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2013, 15:48 

alexkosha wrote:
How about that one?
I have all components to assemble it tomorrow.
Any comments or suggestions?

Hey Alex, did you build this PSU? I've been searching for a good schematic for my planned BHL. I'd switch to a LM317 and 24V, but I like your schematic otherwise because it's simple enough for me to wrap my head around and tweak if necessary.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 24  Next