DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Bruce Heran outlines the details and construction of his simple DIY 6DJ8 (ECC88) Tube Hi-Fi Headphone Amplifier Project.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 10:07

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: 28 Dec 2012, 19:58 

HT Performance wrote:
Hi!

I still believe that the transistors shown on this pcb are reversed.

The 50ohm resistor is conected to drain and the 3.16k to source.

This is not what you see in the schematic, neither on the 2sk170 datasheet.

Please look carefully...

Yes, I think its obvious it is reversed, except... if there are 2 versions of 2SK170 with different D and S. Bad Chinese copy of SK? :)

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2013, 21:19 

By request...

The modifications / improvements to this lovely pre-amplifier.

- Slightly gain increase
- Nearest RIAA curve
- Exceptional soundstage

Check theory and measurents on this thread (about 5 pages behind).

Happy listening!

Miguel

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2013, 18:36 
Project Author

HT Performance: I just received the BHL MC stage kit. I hope to have have it finished in the next few weeks. Currently I'm finishing another piezo preamp this time with OPAMPs. Once completed I'll tackle the BHL MC stage. I can compare it with my Le Pacific and Jean Hiraga bi-polar MC stage (I like this one the most but others like the Le Pacific).

As an aside I now have two good schematics for two stage tube phono preamps. The one I built for a friend I thought was exceptional and (one day) hope to build one for myself soon.

PostPosted: 14 May 2013, 11:31 

I finished my Boozhound Labs MC pre and Phono pre tandem and used advised changes for R 5, 10, 12 and add C of 470 uF to R3. . Sounds really good, but I still have some hum-noise when my volume is high and no music played. How do you guys connects signal grounds and how do you connect PSU and chassis grounds? BTW, I use Nemic-Lambda EWS-15-15 PSU (+15V and -15V) which adjusted to 14V DC. Do you shorting output RCA returns? Please advice.

PostPosted: 14 May 2013, 20:42 

I have had similar hum problems, but in the end they've all been traced back to the turntable. While I can't advise about what to do, clips and wire are your friend. Clip to various places on the TT and phono pre and see what happens. Pay close attention to the tonearm and headshell. Clip together the RCA jacks at the inlet, and also at the tonearm wires for each channel. If no hum, the issue is probably related to the cartridge not being shielded and you may need to do some TT tweaks (mu-metal platter mat?).

My preamp is grounded at one place (star grounded), in my case at the power supply inlet (I have a linear supply I made that I use a typical DC jack to connect to the phono pre). The TT ground lug on the phono pre (which not all of my TTs have) is isolated from the case and connected to the ground plane, and then to the case/power supply ground. Not a true star ground, but it seems to work really well. Alternatively, ground the case at the TT ground lug and isolate the PS inlet from the case. If the case is grounded at several places you could end up with ground loops.

Finally, are you sure it isn't coming from the PS?

PostPosted: 15 May 2013, 02:18 

Thank you for your feedback. I have that hum even when my TT in not connected to pre amp. So, you do advised to short inputs. Right? I'll try to attach a drawing of my setup. Please take a close look and maybe you can advice more obvious direction.

Attachment:
Drawing of my structure.png

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 15 May 2013, 06:52 

I'd first try shorting the inputs, but my guess is that won't change anything. Next, if they aren't yet, twist all incoming AC lines right up to the PSU. Test after each step.

Your grounding looks mostly OK but a little odd. I'd prefer a star at the power inlet and all downstream components tied directly to it without going through any other components. Right now your grounds go to a star, that feeds the PSU and then that connects to the mains ground. I don't know the PSU design but perhaps there's an issue running grounds through it.

I'd change the wiring to send mains ground directly to the star, then all other grounds (including PSU) to that star. I know the mains ground and PSU ground are probably tied directly, but you might still be getting ground loop from the PSU-MC-Phono. I'm pretty sure the signal negatives are connected to the ground plane so it's hard to figure out where the loops might be.

Also, maybe the PSU has some issues? Can you disconnect the PSU and wire up a pair of 9v batteries in series (or similar for 18v) to the supply lines from the phono amps (9v alone is at the limit of the amps' ability to operate)? Jason says 24v is fine so the 18v won't be a problem. If you still get hum running on batteries, there's a ground loop for sure.

Lastly, can you tell if there might be a ground loop forming with the downstream components? You might connect to a different amp or pre-amp downstream. I suspect the grounding within the phono stages and PSU more than that though.

Good luck.

PostPosted: 15 May 2013, 11:48 

In my opinion your problem is having AC inside the chassis.

On phono-preamp I generally use external power supplies, like a wall-transformer and a DC jack.

It really helps all hum problems, in fact, there is no hum at all!

So what about getting a cheap 24vdc wall type PSU? They are very cheap at eBay ;)

One doubt...

This JFET works with +24v and 0v. I see your PSU is +15v and -15v which is a symetrical PSU. Are you OK here?

Cheers,

Miguel

PostPosted: 15 May 2013, 12:53 

I haven't had problem with AC in the chassis for my MM stage (Boozhound) but haven't worked with the MC step-up, and I could see that being a problem. On the other hand, with just the MM phono stage and a wall wart, I had terrible hum. Jason at Boozhound suggests some work and some don't. I'd imagine that wouldn't be a good approach with the MC step-up without serious filtering in the case before the board.

The JFETs and this design apparently provide terrible ripple rejection. My own MM stage uses an external supply as you suggest and hum is very low except when certain turntables are attached (and then the hum can get quite noticeable. IMLE the real gremlin is ground loops, and they can be a bear to find. Induced AC hum, especially with twisted wires and perpendicular crossing of DC lines where that has to happen, just isn't a big deal. Again, in my experience.

PostPosted: 15 May 2013, 17:56 
Project Author

HT Performance wrote:
In my opinion your problem is having AC inside the chassis.

I agree here. Get the AC out of the case. I even have an inline box with rec. bridge and some basic filtering before it gets into the case. Then I have large storage caps inside the case. This way only DC gets into the case.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 22  Next