DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 Aug 2018, 09:44

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2013, 13:07 

hi.....
Почти закончил. Долго думал,как организовать место для батарей и решил так.
Место обклеил замшей.сделал мягкий упор. И теперь блок вставляется туго и надежно.

font could not repeat exactly...... boozhound labs

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2014, 14:44 

kuly-s wrote:
hi.....
Место обклеил замшей.сделал мягкий упор. И теперь блок вставляется туго и надежно.

Zachem takie slognosti?
Why via such complications?

Chego ne pricrutit' blok vintami k nijney paneli?
What not to screw in battery holder to the bottom plate?

Mojno i na lipuchke. Toje budet derjat'sa' krepko.
Valcro is also can hold it tightly.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2014, 17:31 
Project Author

alexkosha wrote:
kuly-s wrote:
hi.....

Zachem takie slognosti?
Why via such complications?

Chego ne pricrutit' blok vintami k nijney paneli?
What not to screw in battery holder to the bottom plate?

Mojno i na lipuchke. Toje budet derjat'sa' krepko.
Valcro is also can hold it tightly.

I use a thick double sided tape. Once it adheres to the surface it is very hard to remove.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2014, 19:36 

Hi all,
I am strongly considering building the boozhoundlabs phono pre-amplifier and eventually some of the mods discussed in this thread. However, what I'm wondering is - what class of "boutique" phono pre-amps does this compare to? I have been thinking in the ranges of the Lehmann Black Cube SE, which does seem to get excellent reviews, but would this DIY pre-amp be in the same range regarding sound quality, SNR, crosstalk, THD and such? I read all pages of the threads, and remember one user said it rivals more expensive pre-amps costing hundreds of dollars (or something along those lines). But has anyone performed any kind of objective measurement of the performance?

Reading phono pre-amps reviews and comparisons is a nightmare. There are never one clear winner that wins every prize. In fact, the Black Cube also are rated badly by other reviewers touting some Graham Slee products higher, and the same is the case for a dozen of other products. Boutique phono pre-amps quickly become costly, so this is qhy in consider DIY.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2014, 02:56 
Project Author

tk-don wrote:
Hi all,
I am strongly considering building the boozhoundlabs phono pre-amplifier and eventually some of the mods discussed in this thread. However, what I'm wondering is - what class of "boutique" phono pre-amps does this compare to? I have been thinking in the ranges of the Lehmann Black Cube SE, which does seem to get excellent reviews, but would this DIY pre-amp be in the same range regarding sound quality, SNR, crosstalk, THD and such? I read all pages of the threads, and remember one user said it rivals more expensive pre-amps costing hundreds of dollars (or something along those lines). But has anyone performed any kind of objective measurement of the performance?

Reading phono pre-amps reviews and comparisons is a nightmare. There are never one clear winner that wins every prize. In fact, the Black Cube also are rated badly by other reviewers touting some Graham Slee products higher, and the same is the case for a dozen of other products. Boutique phono pre-amps quickly become costly, so this is qhy in consider DIY.

After building a boozhoud labs knock-off (copied the scheamatic with my own components and wiiring method) and then building a genuine BHLs kit, I can say, you wont be disappointed. They do sound very good. All of mine have run on batteries with no hum or noise at all. A friend did prefer his Cambridge 640P over the BHL. I have recently built Bruce's "Mimic" which may even perform better then BHL. For an MC stage and using the BHL, I would recomends the Le Pacific. Again I run mine on batteries.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2014, 22:54 

I'm sure that for a fair judgement we should to compare DYI to DYI. I can compare my BHL to also mine Salas phono.
Both are coming as a kits and both are not a commercial finished products. Also, both uses JFETs.
Well, in case of head to head compassing, and IMHO, Salas phono is a compitely different league . However, it is more pricey particularly if you are going to use Vishay VARs, Caddoks, Mundorfs SIO and so on...
Do not get me wrong and I like my BHL. It is simple to build and easy to set it up.
Salas phono is more complicated design and assembly with the following setup is requires more knowledge, experience, skills, patience and measurement tools. But.....the...sound , it is X times "more" for every aspect of audio-cooking.
I presented here my personal opinion and it is as always subjective view for you ...Please share with yours.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2014, 10:24 

..... :wizard:

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2014, 16:52 
Project Author

Kuly-s: neat build.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2014, 02:23 

Kuly-s: I agree with mwhouston. It looks nice.
Ochen' nedurno vi'glyadet!!! Moi pozdravleniya!

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014, 09:10 

best wishes to everybody, after many DIY projects as a civil engineer such as RCA and XLR interconnects with Mundorf silver wire, rack, and Jensen 1071 (troels gravesen) speaker finally I am encouraged to make BHL Pacific Phono Pre.

Ordered and received the kit, last weekend completed board already, hopefully complete this weekend the box.
Will be battery powered. I just today found this thread and saw that it is proposed filter caps between battery pack and PCB.

Could you kindly suggest how it should be connected in between. If there will be a photo, it will be wonderful.

Thanks in advance

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next