DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Bruce Heran outlines the details and construction of his simple DIY 6DJ8 (ECC88) Tube Hi-Fi Headphone Amplifier Project.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 21:16

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2010, 07:30 
Project Author

The minimalist in me says that the whole BoZ, sans I/P cap and large filter caps, could be built on the sides of the brown poly output caps. There would be no attenuator in this tiny cct. All volume would be controlled from the source. My Oppo BDP-83SE has full volume control.

The usual 2 X 10,000uf caps or in BoZSE 3 X 10,000uf caps would be housed remotely as part of the remote PS. So an enclosure so tiny what would you do with it? Not sure?

BoZ on a cap!

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2010, 11:21 
Editor

A BoZ on a cap! I'd love to see that.
Cheers

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2010, 17:12 
Project Author

The Jaycar 10uf brown polies are an inch or so long, fat and solid. I thought of super gluing the resistors and jFET to the boldy of the cap. No Alps attenuator with this one. Not need for me with the Oppo.

BUT I would have to have a remote box with the PS in it. OR reduce the PS to a single 100uf cap also stuck to the poly and run the unit from some batteries fitting the lot in a tiny little box! One reason I think BoZ has such huge bass is the 20,000uf of storage caps. If you drop these you get a compact BoZ but you may lose the bass weight. Compromises.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2010, 23:08 
Project Author

Dan wrote:
Where are the pics Mark ?

You show me yours and I'll show you mine (lel).

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2010, 01:16 
Project Author

Go to the BoZoaC thread for the full story on the recursive BoZ on a Cap. But here is a few images. Best image of the preamp amp is it's stereo image (lel).
Attachment:
BoZoaC7.jpg
Attachment:
BoZoaC13.jpg
Attachment:
BoZoaC12.jpg
Attachment:
BoZoaC14ss.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2010, 13:46 
Editor

Hi Mark, looks great!

It is a shame to hide the point to point work. If you are looking to show it off you could try a translucent case: http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg2c.htm
Cheers

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2010, 15:09 
Project Author

Yes the engines pretty but the wirings a mess. I like the cases I use they are really soild and dead.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2011, 14:47 

I've seen this nice little housing from sure electronics on ebay....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Amplifier ... 513wt_1110

I'm sure you can build the jfet boz around this unit. Sweet. I'm going to give it a go.

I've got most of the parts...

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2011, 15:12 
Project Author

That's cheap enough. I pay $50 just for the Hammond case.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2012, 08:44 
Project Author

Firstly I will say that BoZ on a cap (BoZoaC) is alive and well and used on a daily basis. The two capless BoZ's I have (including BoZSE) are also working well. Currently though I am using one of two tube preamps: a 6N7 preamp or a C3m preamp.

I did have my best BoZSE tested to day and here are the results:
Firstly extremely low noise where usually there is some mains AC hash. It was exatremly clean down low. But at 0.5V in and out (unity) THD was 1.02% But response was dead flat from 10hz to 20khz. The response virtually tracked the reference test signal. 100hz noise (our mains is 50hz) was -90db down. Better than the 6N7 and C3m preamp tested the same way but only slightly better.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next